xxiii

We hiked up a large hill across town for several hours, and after making us bike around all day, Dustin finally selected the "perfect hill". 

The entire time, I had to circle back to Mike and El, who had started to go in the wrong direction because they weren't paying attention when we made a turn.

"Aren't we high enough?" Lucas asked.

"Cerebro works best at a hundred meters." Dustin informed us. 

"You know, I'm pretty sure people in Utah have telephones." Max pointed out.

"Yeah, but Suzie's Mormon."

"Oh, shit. She doesn't have electricity?" Lucas questioned.

"Oh, that's the Amish." Max corrected. I didn't know what either of those things meant.

"What are Mormons?" Will asked, me wondering the same thing.

"Super religious white people." Dustin explained, although that didn't make any more sense to me. "They have electricity and cars and stuff, but since I'm not Mormon, her parents would never approve. It's all a bit... Shakespearean."

"Shakespearean?" Max and I echoed. 

"Yeah. Like Romeo and Juliet." He said, making me furrow my eyebrows in confusion.

"What's a Romeo?" I wondered quietly.

"Star-crossed lovers." He continued.

"I got it." Max said. 

We were halfway up when Mike and El stopped, catching our attention. "Hey, guys!" Mike called. "This is fun and all, but, uh..." He pointed at his watch.

"I have to go home." El said, and I gave her an annoyed look.

"We're almost there." Dustin protested.

"Sorry, man. Curfew." He pulled on El's arm, turning back. "Come on, let's go."

"El, our curfew isn't until eight, what are you-"

"Good luck!" She yelled over me, following Mike back down the hill.

"Dad's not even home, you liar!" I yelled back at her. "And friends don't lie!"

Dustin scoffed. "Curfew at 4:00?" 

"They're lying." Lucas said, stating the obvious. 

"It's been like this all summer." Will informed him.

"It's romantic." Max tried.

"It's gross." Will added, making me nod in agreement.

"It's bullshit." Dustin said, hurt in voice. "I just got home." We watched them run down the hill, giggling.

I held my arm out and flicked my wrist, causing them to trip and start rolling. "Jerks!" I yelled at them as they slid down the hill.

They all laughed and I high fived Will. 

"Well, their loss, right?" Dustin asked, trying to lighten the mood. "Onwards and upwards! Suzie awaits!"

Max and Lucas groaned, everyone following him to the top. I looked behind me to see that Will had stayed behind, looking around the field suspiciously. 

"Will, come on!" Dustin yelled. I hung back to wait for him to catch up, running with him to the top.

"Made it." Dustin declared when we got there.

"Yeah, only took five hours." Max complained.

"Yeah, because someone kept changing their mind about which hill to use." I added, flicking him in the head.