Chapter 25

A/N: So... the image abound is from a BL romance called Doukyussei. You can find it Mangago.me and it's one of the cutest stories I've read!! 10/10 would recommend. It's about two high schoolers and how their relationship changes as they go through their high school years and get ready for and enter uni. Anyways, super cute and time to get back to the story. 😊

Not bad. Hawks was right. He does have a lot of potential. Midnight watched as Tokoyami maintained almost perfect control over his shadow. The thing seemed calmer than she'd last seen it when they were fighting the league of villains. Instead of being all over the place, it hovered around Tokoyami and seemed to watch its surroundings with curiosity and wonder rather than suspicion and hostility. She stood and walked over to the kid, tapping his shoulder, and startling him out of his moment of meditation. "The test is done. You should head back to the waiting area and we'll let you know if you're chosen." Tokoyami nodded and turned, walking off and leaving Midnight to her thoughts. He's even got out of the constant emo mode. He doesn't really talk much at all anymore. Midnight could tell Tokoyami was bothered by Hawks' death. He had been Tokoyami's mentor. They had gotten along very well. And now, Hawks was gone and Tokoyami didn't really know how to handle it. She shook her head, clearing her thoughts as her eyes began to water. She turned and headed to her office, slumping into her chair as she ran fingers through her head. She tried focusing back on her work, but as memories of the recent past forced there way into her head, tears blinded her and she soon gave in. Muffled sobs escaped her lips as she curled up in a ball, hiding her face from anyone who might walk in. Dammit. Why didn't we listen to Miruko? Just to be safe. It wouldn't have hurt anyone, we may even have been able to evacuate the place. Tears streamed down Midnight's cheeks as her sobs slowly got louder, until they blocked out everything else. She didn't even hear Endeavor walking in. He startled her from her sobs with a tap on her shoulder. She looked up to see what almost looked like a sad smile on the man's face. "What do you want?" Midnight looked away. "To apologize. I understand this must be hard for you." Midnight's shock almost snapped her out of her crying session. "Shouldn't you be apologizing to Miruko? You did tell her to stay." Midnight sniffled, wiping her eyes and nose before looking up at Endeavor again. "And you knocked her out." He replied. The words stung and it took all Midnight had not to flinch away from them. "Why do you have to be right at the worst possible time?" Midnight groaned as guilt began to poke at her, threatening to send her right back into her starting state of a crying mess. "I'm about to be right again," Endeavor spoke, lifting Midnight's face to meet his. "Whether we like it or not, Miruko was right. Anyone who tried to delay or stop her entirely is to blame for this. While that makes you have to take the blame for Hawks' death, you're not alone. Aizawa, Mic, and I are feeling just as guilty as you are. Believe me." Midnight couldn't keep the tears back as all of reality finally sunk in. Hawks was dead. She had played a part in causing his death by not listening to Miruko. Miruko had lost a best friend and there was nothing Midnight could ever do to make up for it. There was nothing she could say to make anything right. There would never be something to say or the right thing to do. Midnight had been pushing the guilt away, lying to herself as she tried to comfort others when she had no right to. The thoughts that had been tormenting her for the past two days had come bubbling up to the surface with just a few words. They spilled out through her eyes and voice as she wailed for what seemed like centuries. As she broke down, Endeavor sat and waited, doing nothing to try and ease her pain. She knew he had no reason to. She must've seemed like a naive child, wailing over something that was partially her fault. Endeavor watched for a few moments longer before standing up again. He went to leave the room, but stopped before he got to the door. He turned, walked back to Midnight and hugged her. Midnight melted into his arms, feeling even worse. The hug was a cruel reminder that she shouldn't be so pitiful. She had played a part in Hawks' death. But somehow, the hug was what she needed, as she was soon reduced to sniffles again. Endeavor backed up, and the room suddenly felt cold without the fiery man's arms. "You're the worst." Midnight growled as Endeavor turned once again to leave. "...I know." He replied as he stepped outside and closed the office door, leaving Midnight in a deafening silence. "You're the worst." She repeated, this time to no one in particular. You're the worst. You're the worst. You're the worst. The words thrummed in Midnight's head as she stood and left. She left her office, the building, everything. She walked home, throwing everything to the floor as she walked inside. She ignored everything around her and stopped once she reached her bedroom door. She walked in, and passed out almost as soon as she hit the bed. Even in her sleep, she couldn't escape those words. They fluttered around, followed by red, soft, feathers. You're the worst. You're the worst. You're the worst.

A/N- Hey! I know this chapter is shorter than usual but I wanted to take a moment to say thanks for everyone who has read and enjoyed the story so far. When I saw that my story had reached 50k reads... lemme tell you that was a confidence boost like no other. I really appreciate your support and I hope you all stay to enjoy more of the characters and if they'll ever get over their hardships. Will the heroes overcome their guilt, or will this be the moment where the line between hero and villain comes into question  as some begin to crack and break under rising stress? Stay and find out! 😊
Again... thank you so much for 50k reads!!! It means more than what I can put into words.