Chapter 26 (part 2)

Day 2:

"You're awake. Are you feeling better?" Miruko turned her head slightly as the voice bounced in her head. A nurse looked back at her, smiling weakly and doing little to hide the worry in his eyes. Miruko sat up quickly as memories of the night before flooded back. "Oh" the nurse put a hand on Miruko's chest. "Don't sit up so fast..." He was ignored. "Hawks... he's..." Miruko's voice trailed as the nurse shook his head. "We couldn't find a body matching his appearance. He's been presumed dead along with several others. He might be one of the burned bodies we found, but they're burned so badly there's no way to confirm who they were. We're you close?" Miruko nodded. "He was my best friend." The words were shaky and quiet. The nurse patted Miruko's hand, a sad smile on his face. "I'm sorry to hear that. You should rest. Your legs got burned quite badly, lord knows how you didn't notice. I'm not sure how they got you off the ground without ripping the skin off. It was melting and stuck to the rubble." The nurse looked to Miruko, who was still staring into space, nodding her head slowly to signal for him to continue. "Unfortunately, the skin was irreparable, so you had to get skin grafts. On the more positive note, it wasn't bad enough for surgical staples. The stitches will leave marks and your legs will be disfigured, but they'll heal. You should relax here for about a week or so for the skin to heal, and then the doctor will probably have you relax at home for another week before going back to work. They'll probably start to hurt in about an hour or so from now once all the meds wear off. If it becomes too bad call for me and we'll figure out what to do from there, okay?" The nurse didn't get a response as Miruko sat, staring at the far wall with a distant look on her face. The nurse sighed, slowly squeezing Miruko's arm. "I'm so sorry for your loss. My older sisters died in that fire. I'm sure your pain is different but I hope you know you aren't alone." With that, the nurse turned and left. Leaving Miruko alone to handle the overwhelming grief that had returned from the night before. She sat, staring at the wall as the clock ticked away. Her grief turning to depression as the hours passed. Red feathers began drifting down and through the room. Tears silently drifted down her cheeks, being the only thing proving she was still alive as different nurses brought food in and left throughout the day. By the time the nurse from the morning came in hours later, it was dark, Miruko's eyes had dulled, and her food had remained untouched. The nurse just came in and sat next to her, watching her lifeless eyes stare at the far wall. Miruko's breathing had almost stopped, her chest barely rising as she stared on. The nurse held Miruko's hand and began humming a faint lullaby. It echoed faintly in Miruko's head, but she paid no notice to it. She stared at the far wall, watching red feathers float by that soon blackened and turned to ash. Come back Keigo. Miruko felt tears start down her cheeks again. I'm right here, waiting for you. So come back, okay? I'm right here. I'll wait however long it takes, so just come back to me, okay? Miruko repeated those thoughts until they became white noise along with the lullaby. As they continued, they remained unanswered, and Miruko fell deeper into her depression.

A/N: Sorry for updating so late! School just started for me and it's been a problem. My computer wasn't working, then my phone wasn't... anyways, I know it's short but I felt like I didn't need to write anymore than this. I think I got the point across. Hopefully y'all enjoy and if you've started school already you're having fewer troubles than I am! See y'all next chapter!