Why?

"Mikey...." Maxie says weakly. Today she's finally getting to go home. They're still figuring out who raped her.

"Hey Maxie...." I smile and touch her cheek.

"No!" she shouts and pushes my arm away.

"I haven't done anything to you...." I say.

"Don't. Touch. Me." she says angrily.

"Mr. Way...I need to have a talk with you." the doctor who was observing us spoke up.

I nod and stand in the hallways with him.

"We figure....that Maxine is traumatized." he says. "We're not exactly to sure since she hasn't exactly talked much but whenever one of our male doctors would get close to her....she would start screaming and such."

"So....how am I supposed to...help her? How can I help her?" I ask.

My poor maxie...I swear whoever did this to her will pay.

"Treat her like a baby....not in the sense of hand feeding her or anything like that but....be patient." he explains. "She was abused cruely...from what we can tell...her body will heal but I don't know if her mind will."

I sighed and looked at her through the window. She looked so frail and....whoever did this to her....why would they even do what they did?

I couldn't do this alone...I couldn't. I couldn't take care of Maxie alone...

But I had to do it. I was the only person she had.

•••••••••••••

"There ya go...all comfortable." I say after making the bed comfortable for her. I did all this without touching her.

She finally laid down and looked at me.

"Where's Kat?" she says.

"Kat?" I say. "He..." I run out of the room and come back with Kat in my arms.

"Leave him right there." Maxie says pointing to a small chair beside the bed.

I'm going to have to gain her trust again.

"okay." I say smiling and leave Kat on the chair. As soon as I set him down he wants to get down. But he's still a kitten and is too afraid to get down.

"I'm...going to...leave." I say and Maxie just nods.

I go to the living room and peek at her from the couch.

She gets up and picks up Kat and kisses him.

"Cute Kat...." I hear her mumble into his fur.

And then she's crying hard. I stay where I'm at because if I touch her she will go hysterical.

I sigh out loud. I hope she gets better.