Maybe You Do Make Me Swoon

I had a huge headache when Mikey wakes me up. He grabs my shoulder and shakes me. My bad shoulder.

"Fuck you Mikey." I say shoving him away. Instantly I feel bad. He looks at me.

"I'm sorry." I say massaging my shoulder. He gets into my apartment with the key I gave to him. He only comes in when he sees my stepdad come out to got to work.

"What's wrong?" he asks. He offers me his cup of coffee.

"I..I fell down the stairs." I make up a lie and go into my room and quickly change.. I grab my bag and we leave the building.

"So I was thinking..." Mikey starts to say as we arrive at the office.

"I see your better?" Alan interrupts whatever Mikey was going to say.

"Much better." I say. "What were you gonna say Mikey?" I say once Alan has left.

"What was that about?" he asks.

"Yesterday he saw I was upset after the thing that happened." I explain.

"That's it?" he says not looking directly at me.

"Yeah." I nod leaving out the 'Oh that's good.' part. "Why?"

"Uh..just...I mean...I." he starts to stutter.

"Uh Mikey? I was just asking." I laugh and hug him. We start our jobs and our friendship's back on track.

••••••••••••••••••••••••••

As I'm filling out paperwork I'm about to take a coffee break with Mikey when Alan comes to my desk.

"Yes Alan." I continue writing without looking up.

"Well if you're so busy..." he says. I look up and he smiles.

"You've got my full attention." I smirk.

"Well...I was wondering if you would go somewhere with me?"

he asks."Like right now. We can have a cup of coffee..."

I cringe.

"I already have plans." I say pointing to Mikey's desk.

Alan raises his eyebrows.

"If your going to be bitching..." I begin but he smiles.

"Of course not! Why don't we go out for dinner." he asks.

I stay quiet. He's nice and all....

"Okay" it comes out more like a question.

"Okay I'll call you at five?" he says smiling. I nod.

What. Did. I. Just. Do.

I walk over to Mikey. I stare at him.

"You ..." he takes one look at me and knows something's wrong.

"What happened." he asks. We start to walk to the café around the corner.

"I accepted Alan's offer for dinner." I say.

"What?!" he stops walking. I grab his arm and lead him to café

"Why?"

"I couldn't just turn him down." I say. "Plus. I think he's just trying to be friendly." he laughs. We don't actually drink or eat anything during coffee break.

"Mikey please!" I say. "I need your help. If my stepdad shows up what will I do?" He thinks about it.

"I'll call saying that I'm from the school and that if the school can keep you late." he shrugs. I nod.

"Mikey you're the fucking best. I say hugging him like a teddy bear.

I head straight to the Italian restaurant Alan said we'd meet up. I go on an tell the waiter I'm waiting for someone.

Alan comes in ten minutes later. He is sorta...good looking.

He sits across from me and smiles. He's always smiling at me.

"Hey." I say.

"Hey. You look nice." he says.

"Um...I wore these clothes to work today." I laugh.

We order the food and we're awkwardly getting to know each other.

"Oh my parents kicked me out. So I came here with a friend of mine and his uncle got me the job." he says. "It's difficult here in a new city."

"That must be hard." I say.

"Now enough about me. What about you?" he asks.

"I'm Maxine." I say. We laugh.

"Well I'm graduating high school in a month. I just need to do my SAT's and there. The school let me start to work at the office full time three months ago."

He looks at me. Actually paying attention.

"They let me take classes online. And that's it. I'll be walking across the stage in a month and getting my high school diploma." I say.

"I didn't finish high school." he confesses. "I had everything I wanted already. "

"How old are you?" I ask.

"Twenty-three." he says. He looks at me for a response.

"Seventeen. My birthday is in September." I say. He nods.

"You're a hard-working person. And a pretty one too." he says. I blush hard.

Alan isn't that bad. We finish eating and he walks me home. I pretend I have to run errands a block before my building and wall alone from there.

I check my phone and Mikey's sent me a message.

Mikey: No worries. I have you covered till eight.

It's seven. Awesome. I enter the apartment and see my stepdad brought takeout. For himself of course.

"What were you doing at school?" he asks. He isn't drunk yet. Strange.

"Things." I answer.

"What kind of things?" he asks.

"Extra credit things." I answer. The door opens and I'm face to face with my mom