The Last Day Of Normality Part 2

Kat is staring at me as I pace the apartment. It's ten o' clock and I'm worried sick.

I went to go pick up Maxie at her work at nine.

But she wasn't there. I called out to that Ron guy and he told me she hadn't gone to work.

And now here I was an hour later calling her cell phone every five seconds.

"Oh Kat...where could she be?" I say. "Where could she be!"

Kat paws my leg.

"Kat....I can't play!" I say. "Mommy's missing...."

•••••••••••••••

The door opens in the middle of the night. I wake up immediately and am relieved to see that Maxine is standing there.

"Maxine...." I sigh in relief.

She doesn't answer. I get up and turn the lights and the sight I see is....I can't explain the feelings that are passing through me right now.

"What happened?!" I ask and step closer to her. She doesn't move. She has her hands closely to her body and I notice she's shivering.

Her shirt is ripped....she has bruises on both her arms. Her belt is undone and her hair is in tangles. Her eyes are red from crying.

"M-Maxine...what happened?!" I ask again my voice shaking.

"What?" she asks her look distant. Like if she want here with me but somewhere else.

"Nothing happened...nothing Mikey..."

She says it in a quiet voice but when I reach for her hand she screams so loud I jumped back.

"Don't touch me!" she shouts.

"Maxine what's wrong with you?" I say worriedly and shake her carefully by her shoulders. She screams and tries to get out of my grip but I hold on.

"What's wrong Maxine!" I say and don't realize I'm shouting. "Maxie!"

She keeps screaming and then she just stops. Her body falls into my arms like soft silky curtains.

I comb her hair back with my hand and then notice she's bleeding.

My heart pounds as I carry her frail body to the car. I take her to the hospital.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Part two.

Thanks for the more than one thousand reads one this. I am more than happy.