How Justice Dies

The day had finally come. My trial. They finally let my parents in to help me look my best, namely Mum. Makeup was smeared over my face, concealer over my scar, and my purple hair was brushed out, and styled into a little elegant knot at the base of my neck. I wore a midnight blue velour dress that was simple and elegant. I was also traipsing around in matching heels, since apparently that gave me more elegance. Whatever.

"If you look sane, they'll think you are," she assured me. It made me want to shout with ridiculousness. They're never going to believe me, or act like they do. They'll only see their version of the truth, no matter how many people back me up, no matter how sane I appear to be.

Still, I marched into the courtroom. I hate the wizarding courtrooms, let me tell you. I had to sit in a chair where chains restrained me. What the hell, guys? Muggles do just fine without these!

"This is the hearing of Alice Petunia Potter, who has been accused of treason," Fudge said. "Her actions include disrupting the peacetime with the claim that the dark wizard whose name we shall not speak of has returned from the dead and has trained her as his apprentice along with another young man by the name of Ky Marco Emrys. Her actions also include conspiracy to train half of her school in defensive arts as well as dueling."

Madam Bones, the Head of the Law Enforcement Department, looked down at me. "Miss Potter, how plead you?"

"Not guilty of treason," I replied.

"But you have an army-" Umbridge interrupted.

"Explain yourself, Miss Potter," Madam Bones said.

"Voldemort is back," I said. "I was merely teaching defensive techniques. I don't want people getting hurt, so someone has to teach them how to fight, don't they? We were getting crappy education from your appointed teacher."

"Madam Umbridge was using Ministry-approved techniques," Fudge said.

Okay, let's play this.

"May the first witness of the prosecution please come forward," Fudge said.

The lawyer on the other side, a woman with short red hair in a sci-fi bob stepped forwards in startling turquoise robes. "The prosecution would like to bring forward Marietta Edgecombe."

Every muscle within me tensed at the sight of the traitor. Her curls were held back by a giant sunflower-yellow hairbow, and she was wearing a yellow dress that was simple yet childish. It made her look innocent.

"Miss Edgecombe, tell us, what did you witness Miss Potter doing over the past five months?" The lawyer asked.

"She told six others to come into the common rooms and convince us that You-Know-Who was back," Miss Sunshine said. "She was teaching them certain wand techniques that weren't taught in classes, as well as dark magic."

"Did she ever talk about defying the Ministry of Magic?" The lawyer asked.

"Many times, she was almost paranoid about Headmaster Dumbledore and Madam Umbridge never finding out about what she was doing," Marietta said.

I frowned. What the hell, Marietta? I explained several times that the Ministry wouldn't listen to me, and you knew that! You act like I really was someone out of my mind!

I felt a sharp nudge to my ribcage, and returned my face to a neutral expression.

"Does the defendant wish to cross-examine the witness?" Fudge asked.

"Yes," Tallow said. "Miss Edgecombe, did Miss Potter ever say anything about the Ministry refusing to believe what she said?"

"She did," Marietta answered honestly.