Reparations

In Diagon Alley, we were escorted around by Hagrid because apparently Harry and I needed protection from any Death Eaters or sympathizers that may be lurking around, especially after the attacks on Fortescue and Ollivander.

We went into Madam Malkin's, where Draco and Mrs. Malfoy were getting fitted for dark green dress robes with dragon designs all down the back and over the shoulders.

"Don't look now, Mother, but what you're smelling is a mudblood," Draco sneered, looking at Hermia and Weasel King, who had joined up with us in the alley.

"Excuse me?" Malkin said. "I will not tolerate this sort of language."

"So this is Granger, Weasley, and the two Potters. It's sad to see the path that you've taken, Alice," Mrs. Malfoy said.

"Hello, Mrs. Malfoy, Draco," I said tiredly. "I see that Mr. Malfoy's arrest has made you rather pleasant over the summer. Then again, I can't imagine Voldemort is exactly pleased about that, so I don't blame you."

"Nasty accusations," Malkin gasped. "I beg you- PUT YOUR WANDS DOWN!"

"Ah, I see that you think because that Diggory boy is dead that you can insult people without consequence," Mrs. Malfoy said. "Unless, of course, you moved on with Emrys, if that kiss was anything."

It felt like an iron-clad punch to the ribs. I actually did double-over, and I was gasping for breath despite her never laying a spell on me.

I raised my own wand. "A part of me died that day! Take it back!"

"I'm sure you'll be reunited with your Wesley sooner than I will be reunited with Lucius," Narcissa replied coolly.

"Then have a go at us! Maybe they can find a double-cell for you and your loser husband!" Harry yelled.

Great job, Gryffindork. I had this under control and you had to screw it up.

Madam Malkin decided to pretend that this wasn't happening. "I think this sleeve needs to come up a bit higher-"

"Ow, watch your pins, woman!" Draco yelled, and he threw off the robes. "Mother, I don't want these anymore."

"I agree whole-heartedly, now that I know what kind of scum shops here," Mrs. Malfoy agreed, regarding me coldly. Then she and Draco burst out of the store. I was replaying the scene in my head as I was fitted up for robes.

"Well!" Malkin had said. She wanted us out of there fast. One thing didn't click with me though. She never stuck a pin into the arm that she'd tried to pull the sleeve up on. I gotta confirm with Ky here, but I think the Dark Mark is there...

As soon as we were out, we went to Flourish and Blott's, restocked at Apothecary, when Harry and Weasel King wanted to go to the Weasley twins' new shop. I didn't really care, but they insisted, and no one's supposed to go anywhere alone, so yeah.

It was loud, bright, and crowded. A bit over-stimulating for me. I might've seen Harry, Hermia, and Weasel King slip off, so I decided to "accidentally" drop a random box. A hand reached out and caught it right at the last second, and handed it to me. Guess who it was?

Yep, Ky Emrys.

"Thanks," I murmured, taking in his appearance. Circles under his eyes, messy black curls, a rather gaunt appearance, with a bandage wrapped over where I suspected that the Dark Mark was, and two glowing purple bracelets.

"What's with the cuffs?" I asked.

"Well, I've got Aurors following around, since I'm not exactly trustworthy, and if I step more than five feet away, I get an electric strong enough to- well, you get it," he finished hastily. "My family really wanted me to come; they had to cash in a few favors, unfortunately."