Sorcerer's Apprentice

"It's time for your food, mudblood!"

I looked up from the floor. Through the cat-flap was my bowl of mush. I sighed, and began to eat it. Mush was nasty stuff, but it was better than starving to death. As soon as I found I wasn't able to stomach any more, I pushed the bowl back to the flap, sat against the wall, and held my knees to my chest.

I'd lost track of the days and nights that had passed in the darkness of my cell. There was a window, up high and barred, but very little light was let through it. My hair was dirty and starting to grow out, and my clothes were long past ruined, my nøkken bite and stab wound scabbed over and almost to the point of being scars.

I'd thought I'd known what loneliness felt like. I was very wrong.

They'll never come for you. You know this. The feeling was a tidal wave, a tsunami that threatened to overtake me some moments. Won't somebody find me? Doesn't someone care where I am?

I guess you never meant that much to Wesley. Hayden too, for that matter. Does Harry even know what happened? Or Draco, for that matter? Why didn't I say goodbye to any of them?

Well, it's not like they care...

I wanted a way out, more than anything, but the window was up too high, and bars. I couldn't get out. As much as I wanted to. Maybe someday someone will find me- I shook my head. I didn't want someone to find me, because that probably meant that Voldemort had captured them.

I will find my own way out.

"Wake up." I looked up to see Lucius Malfoy, in my cell.

"What?" I snarled, propping myself up on my elbows.

"The Dark Lord wishes to see you. I wouldn't keep him waiting, insolent girl." Lucius said.

"Fine." I got to my feet. My muscles were tight from sitting around for who knows how long, and pain shot through my limbs. I weakly started out, and as soon as I stepped out of my former cell, more Death Eaters surrounded me, wands pointed at me in case I tried anything cute. I was escorted up the stairs, and into the ebony living room of Malfoy Manor. There was another young man, perhaps sixteen or seventeen, who was standing in front of Lord Voldemort in a trench coat and combat boots. He regarded me coldly, and then looked back to Lord Voldemort.

"Ah, Alice Potter," Lord Voldemort said. The other young man's hands twitched, and I saw his wand being twirled. "Don't be uneasy, Emrys. She is like you, a young person that I have decided is worthy of being my apprentice."

"Apprentice?" I asked with a scowl. "I was under the impression that I was a prisoner. The cell was pretty convincing evidence."

The Death Eaters around me raised their wands.

"Relax. She has a right to be angry." Voldemort said.

I looked around, and saw Emrys smirk. I looked back at Voldemort from the side of my eyes, and gave a bitter laugh. "Whether I have a right to or not doesn't have anything to do with this."

"It does," Voldemort replied, as he started pacing in front of the two of us. "You are a Slytherin, who hates the Chosen One and her parents-"

"I don't hate him." I interrupted.

"Crucio," one of the guard members said. It was a small bit of pain, enough for me to be doubled over, but not nearly as much as the last time. Emrys was smirking again.

"Do not interrupt me, Potter." Voldemort said coldly. "As I was saying, you hate your parents. Wouldn't you give anything, to get back at them? To tell them that they were wrong about you? To give them the pain that you've felt for years? To make Dumbledore, in particular, pay for what they've done?"

You know, he's right, a little voice inside my head said. It's not like they even cared enough to come for you! They didn't even think to look for you! It's like you're not even supposed to exist!

I eyed him, green to red, thinking a bit more clearly. But you'll be feeding their fears. They always told you that you'd be the next Voldemort. I don't want to become this. I can't afford to become his apprentice.

"I can't say the feeling hasn't occurred to me, sir," I said honestly.

"Sir?" Voldemort regarded me with a new respect. "I see that you are learning quickly. Besides, certainly you have seen how naturally the dark arts come to you."

How does he know about those dark flashes? Focus, Alice, focus. He's trying to lure you in.

"But I know right from wrong," I said. "And I know it's wrong to kill off an entire group of people."

"But isn't that what your ministry has been doing?" Voldemort said. "Killing off a set of people whose ideology is different from Dumbledore's?"

"It's not the same thing." I said firmly. "Non-magical peoples aren't all bad. Are they, Emrys?"

He glared at me, and I smirked, lording my small victory over him.

"What do you mean, Alice? Ky has proven that he is descended from Merlin Emrys." Voldemort said.

I barked a laugh. "I know for a fact, Emrys, that you're a Ravenclaw muggle-born, the middle child out of three."

"That is a lie," Emrys said, now really giving me the evil eye. I held his glare, and sent my own look of fire back. "With abilities as strong as mine, I must be a pureblood, and my parents have lied."

I laughed again. "Merlin Emrys was a half-blood! His mother was the Welsh princess for heaven's sake! You'd be delusional to think that your parents are that stupid."

Another Cruciatus was aimed at my ribs, and my knees collapsed from under me. I shakily got to my feet, and I saw a smug look from Emrys. I gave a defiant sneer to him as I got to my feet.

"Refrain from further defiance, Alice, or we will be forced to return you to your cell." Voldemort said.

I raised my eyebrows, but that was all.

"Alice, you do not have do join because of ideologies. Join for revenge. Join for the power, the glory. You will be remembered a thousand times more than your brother, than Dumbldore."

Then he'll destroy me later. But I might be able to escape this way...

"I accept." I said.

"Ah, good, Alice. You will have a much better suite, although there will still be heavy guard, until you have proved yourself worthy of my trust." Voldemort said.

"I'd wonder why you'd be taking the time to try to take the ministry and the rest of the world if you didn't sir," I replied.

"Ah, so there is hope for the little girl after all." Voldemort said. "Take Potter to her new quarters. She is allowed for right now to roam that hallway during the day. She will only leave otherwise if I call for her. Understood?"

I nodded, as well as the guard. "Thank you for the opportunity, my liege." I said solemnly.

"You may prove yourself worthy sooner than you think," Voldemort responded.