Superweapon

What's she doing here?" I whispered to Ellie during McGonagall's class. Umbridge was there, sitting in the corner.

"Potter!" McGonagall barked, and I pretended to look interested, but I had long ago transformed my mouse into what she wanted, so I really didn't have anything to do.

"Don't you read?" Ellie hissed.

I scowled. "I do and you know it. Just maybe not the news. Why?"

"She's the High Inquisitor and she's inspecting teachers," Ellie explained in hushed tones. "How do you do this so easily? I've been trying your method, but it's not helping!"

"Look, it isn't as easy as I'm letting on," I said, putting my hand over her wand hand.

"What do you mean?" She asked.

"There were some experiments in the Malfoy Manor while I was there," I hissed. "One of them was that Voldemort kinda... Accelerated my potential, as well as Emrys's," I explained. "It's not the kind of power I want, it's past what I ever would've reached, probably, free of my mental limitations."

"Sweet Jesus," Ellie muttered. "That explains a lot."

"But the tips I gave you will still help," I added.

Ellie nodded, and narrowed her eyes in focus, and changed the mouse into a brick.

"Good job, Anders! Five points to Slytherin," McGonagall said. Umbridge gave a little look to her, and scribbled something down on her notepad.

"Seriously, though, if you're that powerful..." Ellie looked about. "What the Ministry wouldn't do to get their hands on that."

"Which is why you'll be quiet," I hissed. "I'm a living superweapon, which means that if the Ministry knew, they'd want to kill me as soon as they can, make sure they never have to try to buy the approval of a woman who could easily destroy them and escape their prisons."

"Sweet Jesus!" Ellie repeated. "Which means if the Spark gets caught, even if they know you were telling the truth-"

"They'll publicly execute me."

A couple more people were chattering so it would be hard for anyone to hear our whispers.

"Be careful, Alice," she said. "I'd hate for that to happen for you."

I shrugged. "I'm just as expendable as anyone."

Umbridge was in my mother's class, too. Mum had set us up with a set of worksheets and was talking to Umbridge.

"How long have you been teaching?" She asked.

"This is my fifth year," Mum replied evenly.

"Is it true that you took on the post to be with your son?" She continued.

"Yes," Mum exhaled. "He's a good boy, honestly, and I'd hate to see someone hurt him."

She didn't say anything about you.

Shut up, and just listen like a good little eavesdropper.

I pretended to scribble down another calculation, while still trying to overhear Umbridge.

"What are your feelings on your daughter's...outbursts?"

Mum paused. "I don't see what this has to do with how I teach."

"Just answer the question."

"I believe her."

The words echoed in my mind all day. I believe her.