To Kill a Mockingbird

The summer faded fast. Auntie Tonks and Uncle Lupin got married. I was a bridesmaid that sat out most of the dances. I spoke at Wesley's funeral. Actually, I attended the funerals of all seven casualties in the Battle of London Bridge, as they were calling it. I attended Uncle Sirius's funeral.

One of the strangest days of the summer was my birthday. I had my friends over, and we just kinda had fun for once, and I actually felt good for the first time since Wesley had died. The strange part came in the morning, though.

Fudge, right before Scrimgeour took office, came to my doorstep. "Miss Potter, I am sorry to bother you, but you see, Mr. Emrys made an odd request. He wrote, asking that a letter, and this, be shipped to you. We had to check it over for any threats or curses, but all seems to be in order. It appears he wanted it to be ready in time for your sixteenth birthday, Miss Potter, so here you are. Many happy returns, by the way."

I nodded as I accepted the package. He then Disapparated, which left me to open it. Inside was a letter and a book from the muggle world, a book titled To Kill a Mockingbird with a casette player that looked like it would go into Mum's.

I ripped open the letter, which read:

Dear Alice,

I hope this reaches you in time for your birthday. If so, happy birthday. If not, happy belated birthday. Things are bad in Azkaban as they always have been. Little food, very little being edible, conditions rather horrid for hygiene, not that you'd want to with the dementors.

I thought you might like this book. I think it has the world to do with our upcoming war. I think you mentioned once that your mother had a cassette-player, so the movie should show up. But read the book first. Trust me, it's good. I just wish that I'd understood the message before I did what I did.

Thank you, once again for your help in the trial. You were right about second chances. You didn't have to do any of what you did, and probably didn't want to, but know that I appreciate the effort, princess. It's amazing, to hear you speak. You should go into politics. They suit you rather well.

Your ally,

Ky

I'd read To Kill a Mockingbird. And watched the movie. I loved seeing the world of the early century muggles in the southern United States of America through Scout's eyes, a girl like me in many ways. I saw the link in the racism and the pureblood supremacism. I understood the message all too well.

Yet the gift, like the kiss, left me confused. What did it all mean? Was it a gesture of gratitude or something more? I'd hated the idea of it being something more. For Merlin's sake, I was still getting over my last boyfriend, who had died.

Dumbledore showed up on the night of August 20th. He just Apparated onto the doorstep.

"Can you get it?" Dad asked, despite me being in a large Parseltongues t-shirt and sweatpants. I nodded, and opened the door to see Dumbledore.

"Hello, Alice. I've come to see you and Harry," he said in that calm voice that froze over my soul every time I heard it.

"What for?" I demanded.

"I need to discuss some matters with you and Harry and a favor I need of both of you," Dumbledore said.

"Mum! Dad! Harry! Dumbledore wants you!" I yelled. I heard a bunch of footsteps, and I turned to him. "And no to a favor from me."

"You don't even know what it is," he chided.

"I won't do anything for you," I snarled. "You don't get to receive anything from me other than quite possibly a good kick in the pants."