Chapter 38.

Dev Deepavali- that's how the residents of Varanasi calls the festive of lights, diwali. The gods are believed to descend to Earth to bath in the Ganges on this day.
It's one of the most beautiful day which people of Varanasi wait with eagerness.

The morning on the terrace, while giving breakfast plate to Sadhana for Nandini, Manik awkwardly cleared his throat and generously expressed out.

Thank you for helping me out, Bhabhi.” Sadhna's brows twitched slightly on his hesitant tone as he lowered down his gaze and murmured “And apology for giving you an unnecessary trouble of carrying this breakfast to Nandini for me everyday. It's a huge favour.

This is not a trouble, Manik ji. Nor I'm doing any favour to you.” Sadhna explained blandly “Whatever I'm doing is just for Nandini. Nothing else.

Manik stayed silent when Sadhna slightly chuckled out “I still remember how on that day she seemed like a living corpse with the news of your disappearance. But do you know what is the saddest part?

Sadhna's deliberate dejected question made Manik look at her on which she smiled out in dismay “She didn't believed anyone when they told you left her on the very precious day of her life. She kept telling that it was her birthday. She was very much sure that you could never do this to her. And then without accepting food and talking to anyone, she kept looking for your arrival, here, on this very terrace, in her wedding attires, for two consecutive days, Manik ji.

Manik felt his throat clogging with the new found sorrow on which Sadhna craned her head aside to hide her gloominess from him “On the third day, she finally accepted the bitter truth of your disappearance, but look at the harshness of the Lord Shiva. The day when the dark clouds of the sky got cleared, our lives were instead seemed covered in darkness.

While Sadhna heaved slightly, Manik's undivided attention perked as he anticipated what more worse could have happened while he was away.

It was already very late in the night on the third day. The ladies from the neigbour use to find ways to crowd and feign their remorse of our unfortunate situation by their double standard words, humiliation and taunt at home. Nandini was already very vulnerable with all of the insults she was able to hear from the veranda, but when she finally chose to face the situation and come down, she lost her footsteps and-

Remaining was left unsaid which made his fist clenched tight while the self rage made him close his eyes shut when he heard Sadhna sniffing silently “She didn’t woke up for weeks, Manik ji. She was in catatonic condition. Maa was devastated. Dadaji worshipped day and night for her wellbeing. Aloke was literally dying inside seeing his sister lying lifeless despite breathing in front of him and I was the helpless one out all of them.  And the humiliaiton-" She chuckled despite her croaked voice "-it just kept exaggerating our trouble more. Everything seemed shattered."

"And when she regained her consciousness, we met with a complete different Nandini." The deadly change in her tone made Manik anxious “She was not what we were use to see her like. She was not what her name describes her. Their was no rejoice in her eyes. She was all blank and invalid. She couldn't form words when we use to talk with her. She couldn't make her pace quick even while fetching a glass of water. We saw her forcing herself away from us by making her studies a bait and thus how she started skipping meals which has now became a schedule for her."

"But the worst part was yet to come when she met with an accident all over again. We saw her struggle to explain where and how much pain she felt with that injury to the doctor. It was really disheartening to see her struggling so hard to even express what and how she felt, Manik ji.