Chapter 25.

He was seething inside and Nandini could see it through him.

The way his intimidating self walked ahead leading her and a timid Meera behind, she knew he is just on the last threat and is yet to erupt. And even being highly mistaken, the poor thing has to bear it all on herself.

Her tiny hands tightening around her hold made Nandini look down at the girl who pulled the stunt scaring shit out of everyone and now seemed as horrified as she should be.

Nandini was disappointed but she could not show it on the girl who herself was left shuddering when she found her brother striding his way to drag her up from in between those beggars, whom Meera befriended recently.

Fear was long loss omitted from his eyes as soon as Manik's fierce eyes found the cynical gaze of his father who finally had his hands over his sister whom he protected since so long.

He could not grasp over the rush of feeling of abhorrence he felt against his father. Manik was simply disgusted over the fact that he has his blood running in his veins.

Meera's apprehensive eyes gazed upon Nandini as soon as they stopped at the gate of their house "Bha-"

"-get inside the house, Meera."

Meera trembled on Manik's dead cold tone whereas he stood waiting for her to move.
Carresing her small face, Nandini smiled warmly yet encouragingly to Meera and assured her to go.

Watching her leaving timdly, Nandini looked next toward Manik who turned immediately to follow inside but she called him out.

"Don't be so harsh on her, Manik."

He stopped on his track and turned around slowly making her inch closer to him "she is already very scared of you. Just stay calm when you speak to her. Hmm?"

"I know how to handle my sister." Something snapped inside Manik as he stared deep dead into her eyes whereas Nandini seemed taken aback by his sudden lack of warmth "and this is my family matter."

Soft frown formed on her forehead as Nandini's offended gaze stared him for a second until she nodded and walked her way to her home.

A sudden realization came splashing into his conscience as Manik blinked once and turned his gaze at her way before sighing hardly.

He didn't intended to say so.

But the continuous mock ringing inside his ear from those voices made him against his composure.

With his heavy conflicting heart, Manik padded his step inside his house and found his mother hugging Meera to her dear life.

Sheetal was indeed scared and despite Meera's stunt, Sheetal couldn't come up with scolding her daughter. Meera was safe and that is what exactly matters to her.

It was already evening.
The sky turned a shade darker whereas the dusk hit the land.
Even with the season of autumn the weather was as hot as summer. And nothing could feel worst of everything when you have a power cut in your house.

Softly blowing air with the hand fan over the sleeping Sloke, Nandini looked around the commotion going inside her house since past three hours.

Her mind was already disturbed and the chaos going inside the house was doing no good job with her. She could neither stand, nor move around with all those wires and string lights kept in the veranda, not to forget the only source of light in the entire veranda; a fluttering lighted candle.

She was sitting with the thoughts of everything happened on that day.

Whenever she feels she has started understanding Manik, he ends up surprising her.