Poor Kid

*Jess's P.O.V.*

   I looked into Cody's eye straight on for the first real time, and it felt as if I was coming home. Hypathetically of course. The weird thing is that I don't know if I want to come home. Is that weird? After watching his actions through the past like twenty-four hours, I don't know if I want to come home to this person.

   I gasp, not out of amazement, but shock. Shock that this man is my mate, the one who I am to love for the rest of my life. No. Matter. What. This understands the crazy pull that I have had towards him ever since we met, and I am glad that is now cleared up. But it seems as if I have so many more questions just starting to make themselves known in my head. Ugh.

   I look deep into his beautiful eyes and sigh with happiness, knowing that I could be happy here. Nothing could change this feeling but me because I ultimately have the deciding vote, and I'm not sure which way to go. I know in my heart and the very back of my brain that I will most definitely accept him as my mate, but there is a little part of my that is taking a step back and assessing what is going on.

   I'm not sure if I should trust this part, seeing as it is so small and almost feels wrong. It is telling me that he is a bad person, and that in the end, I am the one that is going to get hurt in this relationship. But how? He is my mate. What hurts me will eventually hurt him, that's just the way it goes.

   My heart is telling me to go, go and never look back. I really want to, but I feel as if he is hiding something from me. I will have to check that out before I give him my final answer. I definitely want to get to know him better before we start hooking up and mating with each other.

   I take a deep breath, getting my thoughts together. "How long have you known?" I ask, keeping my voice level.

   "Since the day I smelled your intoxicating scent in the woods near that cave we were in earlier. I knew i had to find and meet you, even in if I was a sort-of rogue. I couldn't be without my mate; my other half."

   That was probably the sweetest thing anyone has said to me, and I know that he means it. Being mates makes you unconditionally love each other, unless if you reject them, of course. I couldn't imagine the pain that one goes through if and when they are ever rejected, but I have heard it is more painful than dying slowly.

   "Why didn't you tell me?" It occurs to me that there is a reason for the males to know about their mate before the females. It is all about being sexist. Males are 'more supperior' to women, so they are sapposed to know about their mates first so they can make the first move, or get to know their mate.

   The only downside to this, is that the male is able to reject the female before she even knows that they are mates. That was what always scared me about males knowing first. They had the power to ruin a person's life, and didn't seem to fully grasp that. I have been afraid of meeting my mate because I always knew there was a chance they would want to reject me, especially after what has happened over the past year.

   "I really wanted to get to know you better. I thought I would tell you after we had started hanging out more so we could have seen how a relationship would have worked out." What was he trying to say without saying?

   "Were you- were you gonna re-reject m-me?" I ask, feeling the tears already coming to my eyes at just the thought of that. I always knew no one would want me, I'm glad my mate could make sure I would know forever.

   "What? No! That thought never even crossed my mind! I just wanted to make sure that this was what you wanted. I would never reject you." He looks straight into my eyes and I know that he is telling me the whole truth.