Because of You

***Jess's P.O.V.***

   "Why do I feel soooo tired?" I ask, making sure to elongate the 'so' part. After they explained to me how I was in a coma for the past week, which I don't remember at all.

   I remember the fight with Chance and how he attacked me and then broke my leg or something, and a little bit about Cody carrying me somewhere, but everything else is pretty blurry. I don't even want to start to sort out what happened anyway.

   "Because your body has been resting for the past week, and isn't used to working like usual." Cody replies softly, and I look at him. His eyes capture my attention right away, and I know that I will never be able to be happy without him by my side. If he wants to stay after he learns about who I am and the past I have, that is.

   "Oh. How long will it be until I'm back to normal?" I better not be this tired for too long or I might just go insane.

   "The doctor said it should only be about a week or two." He replies, and I'm happy at what I hear. I guess I can put up with one week if I really must.

   "Thank God. I want my life back." I mumble, and then look at my hands which are currently occupying themselves with each other. I don't want to see Cody's reaction to the nex thing I'm about to ask. "Have you talked to Chance at all or seen him?" I ask as quietly as I can, but I know he hears me, even if he didn't growl.

   "Why do you even want to know about that fucking bastard?" Cody snarls, and I take a step back from fear of him shifting.

   "I just wanted to know if you caught him so he wasn't out in the world where he could do this to someone else." I say quietly, and I'm not even sure if he heard me over the growls coming from his chest.

   "I don't care where he is as long as he isn't here near you." He says, a little calmer this time.

   I walk up to him and wrap my arms around his waist, knowing it is pretty much the only way to calm him down. I softly kiss his neck and he sighs. It's a great feeling, knowing that I have an effect on him this way. I can't help but feel happy.

   "Just relax Cody. I need to find him so I can either end what he has started and will likely continue if I do not do something to end it, or get everything out in the open so I can focus on us and not have to waste any more of my life thinking about him" I finish my little rant, and sigh loudly. Why does life have to be so confusing?

   "You're right, and I'm sorry. It's just... I don't want you to be anywhere within one hundred miles of that jackass, but I guess you do know how to keep yourself safe, for the most part. And I will be there and ready to protect you this time, if need be." I feel tears coming on, so I quickly grab Cody and give him a tight hug. He willingly hugs me back for all he is worth; God bless him.

   "Do you have any idea where he could be?" I ask, not wanting to make him any angrier.

   "No, but why don't we go ask his parents, they have to know something, right?"

   "I didn't think of that, but they should know something about his whereabouts, or at least they could use their alpha power to force him back. If we get close enough to him, I could always force him to come back with us too."

   "No. It's bad enough I'm letting you confront him, but I do not want you to make him do anything that could make him feel cornered." Cody almost snaps, and his outburst has me on edge.

   "What is your problem?! And I want the truth this time!" I snap, this bullshit has been going on for far to long.

  "Ummm... I kinda... umm..." Cody trails off and looks at the ground. I clear my throat, and he gives me his attention again. I gesture for him to continue. "I may have found him and talked to him while you were in a coma..." He trails off, and I can't even speak.