CHAPTER 9

Cassidy couldn't breathe and the room was starting to blur. Too much was going on right now, and her brain couldn't take in all the information that was being bombarded into it.

"Miss Monte? Miss Monte!" a voice shouted.

Cassidy shook her head and tried her best to refocus. She was still in the interrogation room. Agent Field was looking at her with a mixture of worry and fear. What was going on?

"Cassidy, can you hear me?" Wyatt asked, stooping in front of her.

She centered her gaze on his eyes. They were like chocolate. She had used chocolate in her cake last night. The client said they wanted a triple layer chocolate cake, something she had made a thousand times. Except last night, it reminded her of Rose. Rose had loved chocolate. She always dreamed of eating chocolate cake, but their parents had never let them have any.

"Cassidy!" Wyatt said again.

Slowly the room came back into focus and she could see the concern etched on Wyatt's face.

"Are you okay?" he asked.

She nodded. She wasn't sure she was okay, but she honestly didn't want to talk about it. From remembering her father to hearing about the notes. It was all too much.

"I need some air," she said, getting up.

"We're not done with this interview Miss Monte," Agent Jones argued.

"Take a five-minute break," Wyatt said fiercely.

He took hold of Cassidy's arm and helped her out of the room. He led her to the back door. It opened into a parking lot behind the station. There were patrol cars in the back here.

"Are you okay?" Wyatt asked.

"No," she answered honestly.

She didn't think she'd ever be okay again.

"Do you want me to get something for you?"

She shook her head. She wasn't sure what could make this any better.

"This must be a lot for you to take in."

Cassidy scoffed.

"A lot was finding out my sister was a suspect in a serial killer case. This- this is way too much. They want to know about my past and whether my parents abused us. And if they did, they think that's what made Rose a killer. To top it all off, you found notes in the stuffed animals. Notes that are addressed to me. That's ridiculous. I thought the kids were sending me those. This is more than a lot for me to take in," she practically shouted.

Her voice had risen with each new sentence. She was bordering on hysteria.

What the hell was happening? Was Rose really the killer? Why were the notes addressed to her? What was she going to do now?

Cassidy tried to calm down and breath normally, but the stress of the situation was getting to her. She could already feel the prick of tears in her eyes. Why was this happening to her?

She shook her head, trying to calm the tears. Rose was innocent. She was going to prove it. Those tears needed to be gone and not wasted on something that wasn't true. She swiped her hands over her eyes and turned to face Wyatt.

"I want to see the notes," she demanded.

Her voice was still a bit shaky, but she felt stronger. She was going to get through this. Wyatt led her back to the interrogation room where both Agent Field and Agent Jones were waiting.

"Are you ready to continue with the interview?" Agent Field asked.

"No, I'm not. Detective Wyatt is going to show me the notes," she answered taking a seat.