CHAPTER 29

Wyatt fiddled with his phone. Should he call her? Should he not? There was nothing to report on the case. And truthfully the only reason he was going to call was because he wanted to hear her voice.

"Boss we see movement," Adam said urgently from next to him.

Wyatt dropped his phone quickly and turned his attention back to the two-storey house before them. It was close to ten now.

According to the serial killer's MO, they should have already killed the victims. But so far no one had visited the Caymans.

Using the information they had found in Rose's hotel room; they had tracked down the family that was being surveyed and was now waiting for the killer – Rose – to make a move.

"Where?" he asked Adam, grabbing his own pair of binoculars.

"Second storey, right window."

He moved his binoculars and zeroed in on the window. The night vision allowed him to see the young man that was currently trying to pry the window open.

"That's not Rose," Adam pointed out.

"No, it isn't," Wyatt answered surprised.

Why was it not Rose? The plans had been found in her room. He didn't fool himself into thinking they had the wrong suspect. Rose was the serial killer, there was no doubt about it. But who was this man?

He grabbed the walkie-talkie just as the man made it into the house.

"All units, move in," he ordered.

"Are you sure?" Adam asked as they exited the car.

Wyatt looked across at him.

"What if Rose was trying to tip our hand? What if she sees all the officers and leave?" Adam queried.

Wyatt shook his head.

"Rose isn't here. She would have done the deed by now. This is a set up."

As Wyatt said the words, it felt true to him. In all the cases the victims had been killed between seven and nine. Now was too late. She wouldn't break her pattern.

The unit moved in slowly and quietly. Wyatt gave the orders to go in. The Caymans, the family that Rose's information had been about, had been evacuated from the house earlier this afternoon and now two officers were in their place.

It didn't take long for the unit to sweep the house and capture the man that had broken in. He was handcuffed and placed before Wyatt in five minutes.

The man was agitated, looking around nervously, bouncing on his feet. Wyatt glanced at his arm and saw the needle marks. He was a junkie.

"Who are you?" Wyatt asked.

"My name's Dylan," the man answered, his feet not still.

"Where's Rose?" he questioned.

This man could be working with Rose. This entire drug addict act could be just a show.

"Who's Rose?" Dylan asked, genuinely confused.

"Why were you sneaking into the house?"

"This lady told me too man," Dylan defended.

"What lady?"

"Some woman I met at a bar. She said I could score a huge amount of cash if I just broke into this house at ten on the dot."

"She gave you a specific time?" Wyatt wondered.

"Yeah man. She said that if I go to early, she wouldn't give me any money. And I need the money."

"For your next fix?" Adam asked.