CHAPTER 13

"Do I really have to speak to them again?" Cassidy groaned.

Wyatt smiled. It was exactly the reaction he thought she would have had.

"I know you don't like them. But they're working on the case too."

"They're infuriating. I don't like the way they question me."

Wyatt didn't like it either, but he couldn't go against the Agents. They were higher than him in the ordering structure. He had to follow their word.

"Do you want to get a cup of coffee before we start?"

"I would love one. I saw a Starbucks a couple blocks away."

She looked at him with such pleading eyes, he found himself agreeing even though Adam had just brewed a pot of coffee in the break room.

"Great. We could both use the fresh air," she added as they walked out the station.

He honestly could use the fresh air. Last night was spent at the crime scene and then going over all the evidence that had been found. It was safe to say the Family Killer was behind the attack. The pattern was the same. The cause of death was even the same.

"Do you usually work all night?" Cassidy asked him as they walked.

"I try not to make it a habit, but it's been happening a lot recently. How did you know?" he asked.

He was sure he hadn't mentioned it.

"Adam. He mentioned it when he called this morning."

Of course the kid had said something. If there ever was a leak, Wyatt knew where to look. It wasn't that Adam leaked confidential data all the time, it was just that sometimes he didn't know what not to say.

"I'm sure coming to the station multiple times isn't helping with work," he stated as they walked.

"It isn't. But Lisa, my boss, has been okay with it so far, once I finish any orders we have for the day," Cassidy answered smiling.

"Orders?" he asked.

They had done some research on where she worked but it was all basic things. Cassidy wasn't their suspect. There was no need to go into her private life further.

"We take cake orders. It's actually what I learnt at school. I did some pastries as well, but cakes are what I love doing. I convinced Lisa recently to start taking more orders because I have the free time. I don't think she'd like it if the orders get backed up though," she answered with a chuckle.

"I'll have to come by and try some of your cake then."

Wyatt looked across at her and smiled. She grinned back and then turned away.

"How did you hurt your hand?" he asked.

The bandage on her hand was one of the first things he had noticed when she walked into the station. Well technically that would be a lie. The first thing he had noticed was her smile. But that was besides the point. Her bandaged arm had pulled his attention to it and he had wanted to question her about it since he noticed it.

"Some kid ran into me in the street yesterday. I guess something he was wearing cut me. It's not that bad honestly," Cassidy answered, flexing her fingers to show him that her hand was fine.

He nodded. Must have just been a sharp object on someone's clothes. Fashion these days always puzzled him. Why does one need spikes on their clothing?

"How long have you been a detective?" Cassidy asked.

Wyatt looked across at her. He didn't expect the conversation to get personal.

"You don't have to answer. I'm just curious," she added, noticing his gaze.