CHAPTER 12

"Are you going to invite me in or are you going to stare at me all night?" her sister asked, smiling at her.

Cassidy wasn't sure what exactly was happening right now. Had she fallen asleep after one too many glasses of wine and was having a nightmare? A nightmare wouldn't allow her to see her sister in such clear detail though.

"Are you who I think you are?" Cassidy asked, while pinching herself.

Yup, this was definitely not a dream, she thought, as pain shot through her arm.

"Who do you think I am?" the woman in front of her asked, smiling broadly.

"Rose," she found herself blurting.

There was no other explanation. Although the woman standing in front of her didn't resemble the thirteen-year-old Cassidy had known, her eyes were still the same. A green so dark, it almost looked black.

"Are you going to let me in?" Rose asked again.

Cassidy continued to stare at her sister, unsure what to do. How was her sister on her doorstep at this moment? What was happening?

"Umm, sure," Cassidy answered, finally.

Letting Rose in was the only way she was going to get answers. As she walked in, Cassidy took her time to take in her sister's appearance.

Rose's hair was no longer dark brown like when they were younger. It was jet black now and hung down her back in simple curls. She still towered over Cassidy, something Cassidy had hated when they were younger. Being the taller one was always something she had wanted, even though she knew it was impossible.

Rose was dressed rather casual in slacks and a shirt. It wasn't the style Cassidy thought she would have had. Her sister always seemed more like the jeans and hoodie kind of person. This just showed how much Cassidy didn't know about her sister. Twelve years had indeed changed her.

As Rose walked into the apartment, Cassidy noticed the way her eyes tracked everything. There was definitely something different about the Rose standing in front of her. The younger Rose had been carefree and more open. The one in front of her looked rather tense and hard around the edges.

"It's been a long time," Rose said, walking into the living room.

All Cassidy could do was nod. Her tongue felt heavy and talking seemed impossible. Reuniting with her sister had always been an image in Cassidy's head for as long as she could remember. But right now, she didn't know what to do.

"I imagine this must be a surprise to you," Rose continued talking, her eyes scanning the apartment.

Again, all Cassidy could do was nod.

"It is a surprise to me as well. You're living such a good life Cassie. It's what we always dreamed about."

The tears Cassidy had been holding at bay since seeing her sister fell down her cheeks slowly. To hear her sister talking to her and calling her Cassie; it was a joy she couldn't even begin to describe.

"Rosie," she finally managed to say, her voice choked with tears.

"It's so good seeing you again Cassie," Rose said, looking at her with a genuine smile.

All Cassidy wanted to do was hug her sister and cry. But Rose made no move to come closer, so Cassidy stayed rooted to her spot, behind the couch.

"Where have you been all this time?" Cassidy asked.

"It's been a bit rough. Some foster homes here and there. I've been on my own for a while."

The way she answered was so nonchalant, but Cassidy knew the things she had been through. From the abuse in the foster homes to being in jail recently.