CHAPTER 20

Wyatt was waiting for her when she walked out the building. His back was to her as he conversed with a man, who she recognized as the officer from last night, Officer Grant. Cassidy stood and waited, not wanting to interrupt them. She took the time to take in Wyatt's look.

He was dressed casually in jeans and a shirt, nothing overly fancy. His dark brown hair was a mess atop his head, as though he hadn't combed it this morning or had run his hands through it that many times. As though sensing her thoughts, he ran his hand through his hair again, tousling it further. She found herself smiling at the mess.

"Miss Monte," Officer Grant said, noticing her as he looked up.

Wyatt spun around to face her, and she tried to wipe her ridiculous smile off her face.

"Good morning," she said, stepping towards the two men.

"Were you waiting long?" Wyatt asked, smiling.

She shook her head. "I just got here."

"Officer Grant and I were just talking about his watch last night. He didn't spot anything out of the ordinary," Wyatt explained.

"That's good to hear," Cassidy said in relief.

A black car pulled up at the curb and pressed it's horn, causing Cassidy to jump and turn.

"That's the new shift. They'll follow us throughout the day," Wyatt stated.

The car was nondescript and definitely not one that would have caught her attention on a normal day. As much as she tried, she couldn't see the persons who were in the car.

"Do you know the officers?" she asked, turning back to him.

Wyatt knowing the officers would make her feel safer.

"I do," he promised her.  "We should get going," he added.

She nodded. They waved goodbye to Officer Grant and Wyatt led her to his car.

"So, where exactly are we headed?" Wyatt asked, as he started the car.

Cassidy took out her phone and checked the address Seth had sent her. She showed it to Wyatt, who typed it into his GPS system.

"Your brother must be a big gaming fan?" he asked, as they set off.

"He is. If he had the chance, he would play video games all day. His teachers made him join the debate team recently though."

"A gamer turned debater. That would be an interesting sight," Wyatt said chuckling.

Cassidy found herself laughing as well. Seth's first debate match was next month and even she wasn't sure how well Seth would do. He wasn't much of a debater. She couldn't remember the last time he hadn't thrown his hands up during an argument.

"It surely will be. But he's usually good at anything once he puts his mind to it."

"You're pretty close to him?" Wyatt questioned.

"I am actually. You would think it would be a bit weird since I'm adopted and he's their biological child. But Seth's an absolute sweetheart and he's always treated me as a big sister."

"That's nice. It must have been difficult to start living with a new family, after everything you'd been through."

Cassidy almost forgot that Wyatt knew about her past. She was so accustomed to hiding it from everyone that having someone know about it was such a foreign concept to her.

"I had a rough childhood. I've been to therapy and I would like to think I've learned how to move on."

"You have learned," Wyatt said.