CHAPTER 8

After avoiding the police for an entire day, which Cassidy saw as a victory, she was summoned back to the station. And this time, she wasn't sure what lovely information they were going to impart to her.

Detective Wyatt stood at the station's entrance, waiting for her to arrive. She found herself smiling simply looking at him. He was in casual wear again. It appeared as though he never wore a uniform. His shirt was ruffled and seemed as though it needed a good ironing and his hair was its usual mess atop his head. He greeted her with an easy smile.

"Cassidy, so nice of you to come by," he said, as she came closer.

She stopped a few feet away from him.

"I didn't have much of a choice, did I?" she asked, trying her best not to be sarcastic but it still came out wrong.

Adam had called her early that morning. He informed her that the team from the National Intelligence Unit was at the station and that her presence was requested. She knew if she didn't show up they would call again, so she figured, why not get it over with one time?

She was going to talk to these people and convince them that her sister was innocent. That Rose was not the person they were looking for. They were higher in the chain of command than Wyatt, or at least she thought so. If they believed her, they would make Wyatt stop suspecting Rose, which was all Cassidy wanted.

"No, I'm afraid you didn't," Wyatt answered, his smile dropping a little.

He motioned for her to enter the station and walked in beside her.

"Why do these people want to question me? I can't give them any more information than what I've already given to you," she pointed out, as they walked.

"I know that. But they wish to speak with you themselves," he answered.

He wasn't leading her to his desk, or even the conference room where they had first spoken. She had never been to this section of the station before.

"Where are we going?" she asked, slowing in her step.

"The interrogation room. They want to speak with you there."

"Interrogation room?" she questioned.

Cassidy stopped walking immediately and looked at Wyatt confused.

"Why do they want to speak with me there? I haven't done anything wrong."

He let out a sigh and ran a hand through his hair.

"I know you haven't. But they're insisting all conversations take place there. It's out of my hands," he answered with a shrug.

They really were higher in the chain of command if Wyatt had to listen to their demands.

"Let's get this over with," Cassidy conceded, already dreading this interview.

Wyatt led her to the interrogation room and introduced her to the two agents inside; an older man, Agent Jones, whose face seemed to be in a permanent scowl, and a woman, Agent Field, whose expression mirrored her partner's.

The frosty looks aimed in Cassidy's direction were making her shiver. If intimidation was what they were going for, it was definitely working. Cassidy was feeling pretty unsettled at the moment.

The room was cold and had nothing in it but a steel table and two chairs, one on either side of the table. There was no two-way glass like Cassidy saw in the movies and tv-shows. Both Agents were standing at the farthest wall away from the door. Cassidy walked in hesitantly, the coldness seeping into her skin.

Wyatt moved, trying to leave the room, but Cassidy grabbed his hand before he could reach far. He looked back at her, his chocolate eyes boring into hers.