CHAPTER 15

"How are you holding up dear?" Martha asked.

There was no mistaking the worry on her mother's face.

Cassidy gave her a small smile. There wasn't much she could say.

"I'm fine." I think, she added as an afterthought.

Honestly, she had no idea how she was feeling. How had her fingerprints gotten to the crime scene? Sure, she knew the woman, but she had no idea where the woman lived. Had someone framed her? That seemed like the only possible option, but that raised an entire new set of questions. Who would want to frame her for murder?

"Cass!" a voice shouted happily.

Cassidy looked up to see her brother barreling towards her. A genuine smile lit up her face at his exuberant smile.

He crashed into her, wrapping her into a hug.

"Seth," she said happily, hugging him back.

"I haven't seen you in so long. Where have you been?" he asked, letting her go.

"At work mostly," she answered.

"I have so much to tell you," he said, pulling her into the living room.

Cassidy let him drag her to the couch and push her down to sit. He took a seat next to her, so she angled herself to give him her full attention. She had loved Seth from the first moment she had laid eyes on him. Even though a complete stranger was moving into his house, he had looked at her with such happiness in his eyes and the widest grin a two-year-old could muster.

Seth had been the cutest little toddler she had ever seen. And although she had been a stranger, Seth had clung to her the first time they met. Even now, he had never let go. Not that Cassidy would let him. She loved him more than anything.

"Let's hear," she said, smiling happily.

Seth and Martha were the only two persons who could make her smile, no matter what mood she was in.

"I don't know if mum told you, but I joined the debate team. My teachers have been complaining that I should join some extra-curriculars and debate seemed like the best option."

His face showed that he didn't really agree with his teacher's assessment.

"Especially since there isn't one for playing video games," Cassidy teased.

Seth rolled his eyes at her but was still smiling.

"I have my first match up next month. You'll come right?" he asked, his eyes pleading with her.

She nodded. Her calendar for next month was unclear, but she would definitely make time.

"Great. So, you know my birthday is coming up right?"

The excitement in his voice was contagious but she kept her face neutral.

"Really? I thought it passed already," she said, feigning ignorance.

A hint of a smile played on her face as she watched Seth's reaction.

"Don't lie. You won't ever forget my birthday," he said laughing.

"Is this your segue to what present you want?"

He nodded enthusiastically.

"Okay, let me hear what it is. But keep in mind, I'm not as rich as mum and dad," Cassidy said smiling.

Seth laughed before answering her.

"There's this video game I've been trying to get for forever. This one store I know has a few left. I reserved one already. All you need to do is go collect it sometime in the next three days."