CHAPTER 31

Cassidy stared at the Rose before her and couldn't believe this woman was her sister.

"What happened to you?" Cassidy whispered.

How had Rose become the woman she was? She couldn't comprehend how her sister could have changed this much.

"You didn't find that out in your search for me?" Rose questioned.

"If you knew where I was, why didn't you ever come to me?"

"To ruin your pretty happy life you had here for yourself? No, I didn't want to do that. One of us deserved happiness."

"Then why are you here now?"

"That was before I knew who the people adopted you were."

Rose turned to face Martha and Leon who were still bleeding from the wounds inflicted on them.

"Your hate for them is what brought you to me?"

"I've known where you were for over a year. But when I found out they were your parents, I was fuming. And the more I saw the life you had with them, the more I realized that this was my life. You stole my life."

"I didn't steal anything," Cassidy said, confused at the change in her sister's tone.

"You did! It should have been me! I should be the one living in this fancy house," Rose shouted.

"Is that why you hate me?"

"You had all the riches in the world while I was stuck with another man who thought it was fun to hit me until I screamed."

Rose shuddered as though she was remembering what it had been like.

"But you wanted happiness for me," Cassidy argued, not understanding.

Rose's reasoning behind her hate was difficult to comprehend. It almost seemed as though Rose herself had no idea why she hated Cassidy.

"I didn't want my happiness for you. All you've ever done is steal my happiness," Rose accused.

"What are you talking about?" Cassidy asked even more confused.

It was beginning to get difficult to keep up with the changes in Rose's thoughts.

Sounds of cars driving up drifted into the silence. Cassidy looked up, hoping to see anything but the only door in the living room opened up to the back yard. There was no way to see if that was Wyatt that had come to the rescue.

"Sounds like your lover boy is here," Rose snarled.

She walked to the front door to peer out.

"Mom," Cassidy whispered, taking this time to check on her mother.

"Mom!"

"Cassidy," her mother whispered back weakly.

"Help is here," she whispered and hoped.

"Don't...let her...get to Seth," her mother forced out.

"I won't," Cassidy promised.

Even if it meant her life, Cassidy was going to make sure nothing happened to Seth. He was too young to be killed by her psychotic serial killer sister.

Cassidy was about to call out to her father, when she heard Rose's footsteps make their way back to the living room.

"He got here pretty fast. Must have broken all the traffic laws. Do you think he'll give himself a ticket?" Rose laughed.

Cassidy kept quiet.

"I do wonder, what does he see in you? Why is he so invested in this case?"

"He wants to catch a killer," she answered.