CHAPTER 14

"What do you mean they're my fingerprints?" Cassidy asked confused.

How were the fingerprints a match to hers? She hadn't been anywhere near the crime scene.

Adam looked at her nervously and explained.

"The fingerprints we found at the scene match the fingerprints we have on the system for Cassidy."

Wyatt's gaze swung to Cassidy immediately.

"Why are your prints on the system?" he asked confused.

Cassidy racked her brain trying to remember why her prints would be on the system. What had she done?

"Oh right! I was arrested at a protest rally a couple years ago. But it was only for one night," she defended.

Wyatt shook his head.

"So, you're saying the fingerprints match Cassidy's?" Wyatt asked again, as though he needed to confirm what he had just heard.

"That makes her the prime suspect. Arrest her," Agent Jones said, his face pulled into a smile.

His obvious glee at Cassidy's expense was making her furious. How dare they accuse her of such a thing? First they thought, Rose was the killer and now they thought she was the killer. They clearly had no idea what they were doing.

"Arrest me for what? I didn't kill anyone," Cassidy protested.

"We have evidence. Arrest her, I said," Agent Jones demanded to Wyatt.

"I don't know who was murdered or even where they were murdered. How can I be the killer?" she responded furiously.

Wyatt's gaze swung between the agents and Cassidy. She could see his indecision.

"If you're not going to do it, I will," Agent Field said walking towards Cassidy.

Guess now was the time to pull out her secret weapon.

"I want a lawyer," Cassidy said.

---

After that statement, Cassidy went silent. She didn't speak a word again. Wyatt had allowed her to make a phone call.

The person on the receiving end had been as shocked as she was while making the call. She never thought she'd need a lawyer in all her life. Then again, she never thought she would be in this situation either.

Her lawyer got there in record time, making Cassidy wonder how close by he had been.

"I need a moment alone with my client. I expect all recordings to be off as well," he instructed as soon as he arrived.

The power suit and the serious face expression was enough to drive the Agents and Wyatt out of the room. Both agents had been badgering her with questions ever since they arrested her, but she had refused to speak. She knew she wasn't guilty, but she also didn't want them to twist something she would say.

"What have you got yourself into this time, baby girl?" Leon asked as soon as the room had emptied.

Cassidy looked across at her father with a sheepish expression. Leon looked back at her with a small smile on her face. The worry and confusion were clear in his eyes.

"I don't know dad. It's just all so complicated," she answered truthfully.

Her father's worry was making her more emotional and she felt like crying.

"Okay. Let's start at the beginning then. Why were you at the station today? Did the officers have more questions about your sister? Your mother told me that they've been talking to you."