CHAPTER 35

Rose looked up as the door opened and their eyes connected before Cassidy could step foot in the room. Her sister smiled brightly as she took in Cassidy's presence.

"I didn't think they would actually convince you to come," Rose laughed.

Cassidy walked in and closed the door behind her. She took the chair opposite Rose and looked at her sister. Rose smiled at her broadly.

"You're a lot braver than I'm giving you credit for," Rose mused.

"Why did you want to talk to me?" Cassidy asked.

Her voice was small and even she could hear it – the fright and the pain.

"Where's your little detective? I'm surprised he let you come in alone," Rose taunted.

"Are you talking about Detective Wyatt?" Cassidy asked confused.

"That's the one. He's always hanging around you. At your apartment, at the bakery."

"How do you know he's always with me?"

Cassidy was beginning to get a little freaked out.

"Because I've been keeping an eye on you Cassie. I needed to make sure you were safe," Rose answered smiling.

Keeping an eye on her? She'd mentioned that before.

"Have you been spying on me?" Cassidy asked.

"I wouldn't call it spying. I just wanted to make sure you were okay."

"By spying on me? How long have you been doing that?"

Rose shrugged.

"Don't know. It's been a while. Maybe about a year now," she answered.

"A year? You've known where I've been for a year and you never came to see me?"

Cassidy had been searching for Rose for so long. To know her sister had found her and not come and see her hurt.

"You were living a good life. I didn't want to mess that up," Rose said with a smile.

"Then why did you? Why did you attack us tonight?"

The smile on Rose's face transformed into anger as she stared at Cassidy.

"Because of them. At first I didn't recognize them. But when I did, I hated you just as much as I hated them."

Her hands curled into fists, and she knocked against the table. The laughing, smiling Rose of a minute ago was gone. The one in front of her looked more like the one back at the house.

Cassidy felt her heart rate pick up and goosebumps break out on her skin. This Rose scared her. She knew Rose couldn't harm her in their current situation, but the fear continued to course through her.

"Is that why you attacked my parents tonight? Because you hated them?" Cassidy asked as her voice trembled.

Rose laughed.

"I wanted them dead. Just as much as I wanted you dead," she sneered.

"Why?" Cassidy asked softly.

She didn't understand why Rose hated her this much. What could she have done to deserve this level of hate?

"Because Martha and Leon adopted me? That wasn't my choice. I had no say in that."

Rose glared at her but kept silent.

"Are you not going to answer me?" Cassidy questioned her.

Rose continued to glare at her in silence.