Chapter 54

CHAPTER FIFTY-FOUR

"Jack?" said a sweet voice to his side. "Jack?" it repeated. 

Opening his eyes, he was forced to squint at the bright light that shone down from above. 

"Sorry, I just needed to check your eyes," said the woman in the white coat, turning off the small torch. "I think you're going to be just fine." 

"W...w....where am I?" he asked. 

"You're in the hospital." 

"Which...h...hospital? he asked. 

"Powell River." 

Jack couldn't help but let out a cry as tears filled his eyes. "I'm....home?" he whispered. 

"Dad? Dad?" screamed a voice as Lilly came rushing in through the door and threw herself on him as the Doctor smiled and exited the room to give them some privacy. 

"I'm so glad you're all right," she sobbed until her voice was hoarse as he did nothing but just smile, crying as it hit him he was finally where he belonged. He was home, with his little girl. Well, she wasn't so little any-more. 

Eventually, Lilly looked up and stared at her father. 

"I thought you were going to die. You were in a coma," she said nodding, wiping the tears from her face. 

"How long was I under?" he asked, trying so hard to keep it together. 

"Three days." 

Suddenly, he remembered what had happened. "Eric..." he groaned. Poor Eric. The man was a hero. 

"How is everyone?" he asked. 

"The family is okay," she whispered, "but one of our close friends is seriously ill." 

"Oh honey, I'm sorry... who is it?" 

"His name's Monty. He's taken care of December ever since she was a little girl. He's the nicest guy," she sobbed. 

"I'm so sorry," he said, holding her tightly in a long hug. 

"Son?" said a quiet voice from the doorway. 

"Dad?" Jack said, watching Gabriel hobble into the room with a walking stick. He looked so much older than the last time he'd seen him. 

"Dad," he blurted out before tears began to flow between the two as they hugged each other tight. Lilly stood up and watched before she tiptoed out of the room and let them have some quality time together. After all, they hadn't seen or spoken to each other for nearly sixteen years.

Monty was being cared for at home, after refusing to go to the hospital. He was well aware of the severity of his injuries and he certainly didn't want his final days to be spent in a hospital room, so Moira had agreed he should be at home with those that love him. 

"Monty, oh Monty darling," whispered Ruby as she hovered by his side. "I wish I could help you. I wish I could do something. I feel so darn useless just hovering about like this." 

"Nonsense," he coughed, "You know I love your company, regardless of whether you're dead or alive," he chuckled, smiling. 

"Mother," said Moira, "perhaps Monty ought to rest a little?"  

"No Moira love. I'd rather have Ruby with me, if that's all right with you?" 

Moira smiled and patted his hand before she gently helped him sit upright, just a tad, so he could take a little sip of water. 

"I wish I could hold your hand, Ruby," whispered Monty as he looked at the woman he loved. The woman he had always loved, ever since he had first laid eyes on her spirit, he knew she would have been the one for him. It didn't matter that she wasn't alive. He just loved being with her. He felt she was his soul mate. 

"Oh Monty, I wish I could hold yours too. I have always wished for that to happen, my darling. Oh Monty, I do love you. I'm sorry I never told you before..." 

Monty's eyes lit up. 

"You love me?" he choked and she nodded energetically, "Oh yes dear. I do, from the bottom of my no longer beating heart," she laughed. 

"But...but...I love you...too," suddenly his body was limp and his eyes closed. His heart beat for the very last time. 

"Nooo," wailed Ruby as she hovered over the love of her life.  

Moira rushed to her side, followed by December and Lilly as they all shed tears over the death of their dear friend. 

"He's gone, mother. I'm sorry." 

"He told me... he told me... that he loves me, darling," laughed Ruby, hovering directly above his body. "And I loved him so, I loved him so much. I can't bear it. I can't bear that he has gone," she wailed. 

"I haven't gone... not yet, Ruby," said a voice from the doorway as Monty's spirit hovered towards her. 

"Monty?" she cried, rushing towards him. She stopped just before she reached him and held out her hand. He did the same.  

But when they met in the middle there was a flash of electricity, followed by a loud crackle. 

Ruby yanked her hand back, as did Monty, while the three others looked on in shock. 

"Did you... feel that?" Ruby asked wide-eyed and he nodded, holding out his hand to her again. 

She touched him and her hand didn't go through him, she felt him. Really felt him. 

"Oh my...." whispered Ruby as the two fell into each other's arm in a long embrace. 

December, Lilly and Moira blushed at the scene that developed before them, as Moira coughed conspicuously. 

When they pulled apart, Ruby and Monty grinned at each other and giggled like a couple of love sick teenagers. 

"Do you remember what Michael said, Mother?" asked Moira quietly and Ruby nodded. 

"I'll be set free when I find true love.... and it was right in front of me, all this time. I just had to wait for the old man to die," she chuckled. 

"Less of the old..." laughed Monty as suddenly they both squinted, holding their hands in front of their eyes. 

"What's that?" asked Ruby. 

"I'm guessing that's for us, love. I guess we're supposed to go into it..." said Monty as they both turned to their family. 

Moira's bottom lip quivered and a tear dropped from her eye. 

"Mom?" she said, sniffing. 

"Oh darling, it's time for me to go. I've been a burden to you all these years and now I can go and leave you to get on with your life," she smiled, moving forward to put her arms around her daughter. 

Moira felt a strong warm feeling like she'd never felt before. "I will miss you so much. Be happy... both of you," she said as Monty hugged her too. 

Hugging the girls before they stepped into the light, Ruby said, "That Jack is such a nice looking young man, Moira... I think you should ask him round for dinner....." and then they were gone. 

Moira, December and Lilly all looked at each other and laughed, each wiping away the tears that wouldn't stop falling down their cheeks.