Chapter 23

CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE

"You look terrible, what's wrong?" asked December as she met Lilly at the entrance to the high school the following day. 

"It's Oliver. I think... I think he might be two-timing me," she muttered, pulling her school books close to her chest and breathing in deeply. 

"No way, that's just not possible. Not Oliver. Not with you. Are you insane? Why would you think such a thing?" 

Lilly explained about what had happened the previous evening. 

"Perhaps she's just attractive and he felt like you were putting him on the spot?" 

"No, you should have seen his face when he mentioned her name. It was like he was talking about someone he was madly in love with, December." 

"No, it's got to be something else, hon. Oliver is mad about you. You two are like soul mates or something. There's no way on earth he would have feelings for anyone else. Believe me, I know. I am a witch," she whispered. "So who is this girl anyway?" 

Lilly pulled a face and said, "Calliope, apparently," almost choking at the mention of the name. 

"Cool name. I wonder what it means." 

"Who cares what it means. I never want to hear it said again... EVER." 

December laughed, "You really need to take a chill pill, Lilly. You're imagining this. Seriously, you are." 

Lilly pulled the same face and walked ahead of her best friend who giggled behind her. 

"Okay, okay, we'll go check her out. This... Calliope..." 

"Excuse me, did you just say Calliope? She's just so.... hot..." said a random schoolmate December didn't even know. The boy stood motionless for a moment, mouthing the name in silence, "CALLIOPE...." 

"Okay, now that is weird. Lilly, did you see that?" 

"See what?" she said, still annoyed. 

"I mentioned the name Calliope and that boy....." 

"CALLIOPE.... wow what a woman...." said another random school student who stood fanning himself down just imagining her. 

"Lilly, you're officially right. There's something going on here." 

"See, I told you." 

"Not really, you told me your boyfriend is having feelings for another girl.... not somebody named Calliope is causing strange things to happen." 

"December Moon... did you just say Calliope? Have you seen her? Is she here? Where is she? I need to see her!" yelled Mr. Bacon, one of the teachers who almost pushed her against someone's locker trying to get information out of her. 

"Wh...what? Mr. Bacon, what are you doing?" she asked loudly. 

Lilly watched in shock as all the boys in the hall seemed to be acting bizarrely, all because they'd heard that one name. Calliope. 

Suddenly, the school bell rang loudly and the boys returned to normal, acting like nothing had happened. 

December turned to look at Lilly, "After school, we are so going to find out about this Cal....." 

Lilly rushed to her friend's side, dropped her books to the floor and put her hand over her mouth, "No... don't say it aloud." 

December nodded and bit her lip. 

"After school, okay?" and the two then split up to go to their respective classes, both still reeling from the weird occurrence.