Chapter 56

CHAPTER FIFTY-SIX

"Aren't they just the most beautiful bride and groom you've ever seen?" sighed Tabitha, taking a long sip of champagne before turning to look deep into Zoltan's eyes. He laughed quietly and moved forward so his lips just brushed hers. "One day, babe... one day..." he said before they shared a long lingering kiss. 

Lilly and Oliver sat with their hands held under the table, watching as the bride and groom shared their first dance, a waltz that slowed into a bit of a smooch to the Carpenter's We've Only Just Begun. When the song changed, Jack walked over to his daughter, "May I have this dance?" he asked with a grin. 

Lilly laughed and jumped up, holding on to her father's hand as they walked on to the dance floor. Lilly giggled, tripping over his feet a couple of times before they finally found their rhythm, moving in time to Mariah Carey's Hero. 

"I can't believe it's finally over," said Jack, looking at her and smiling, holding her tight. 

"I know... after all these years. We can live our lives the way they were meant to be. Well, kind of," she sighed. "I wish Mom and Neleh were here." 

"They are here, sweetheart," he said, placing both their hands over his heart. "They'll always be here," he smiled. "And when the house is built... finally... we'll feel like they're with us every day," he added. "I'm so glad Oliver has offered to help me to build it. It'll be nice to keep it in the family," he winked. "And speak of the devil...." 

"May I cut in?" asked Oliver as Jack smiled and handed his daughter over to him and they continued to dance across the floor. 

"How are you feeling?" he asked, looking down into her face. 

She smiled at him, her eyes lighting up, "Relieved, happy, content, sad...." 

Oliver smiled back, "I know," he said, "I know." 

As the music changed to something more suitable for everybody to get up and have fun, the dance floor filled with the young and old, humans, vampires, werewolves, witches and other weird and wonderful characters. Laughter could be heard, mingled with the sounds of the Beach Boys as the elders and all their friends celebrated. They celebrated not just the union of two vampires so completely in love, but the defeat of the Nephilim, the return of so many lost souls and the newly formed secret friendship with the people of Powell River. But more importantly they celebrated life.

THE END

The Ghost of Josiah Grimshaw, a new book (and brand new series!) by Suzy is out now!