Chapter 47

CHAPTER FORTY-SEVEN

When she finally came to, the look of pure shock, followed by utter relief and love, on Mrs Dickson's face said it all. It had taken some doing but eventually the women of Powell River began to show some understanding towards their unusual friends and neighbours.  

But they still didn't know everything. They didn't know the truth about Calliope or the other Nephilim creatures. Gabriel was keeping the worst until last. 

Before he continued, Moira released the binding spell so the women could stand and stretch their legs. Apologising profusely as she did so. 

But not all understood. There were two women in particular who felt strongly repulsed by what they'd learned. One was a religious lady, Ms Hathermere, who believed all supernatural beings were spawns of the devil, brandishing a bible she'd taken out of her handbag. 

"Oh nonsense, Teresa and put that book away. If you want to brandish anybody with that thing, keep it for this Calliope woman. We've known these people for years. These folk are good people. Perhaps a little too secretive, but they're good people. They've never done anything to harm any of us. So put it away," said Mrs Dickson, holding on to her daughter's hand tightly. 

"This ain't God's work, I tell you. This is the devil's work." 

"I'm with Teresa," said another woman who sat with a floral scarf tied around her head and her hands holding on to her own copy of the bible, "Clearly, you're evil doers. You, your wings and your terrifying spells and so on. I'm in no mind to believe you," she hollered, standing and going over to Ms Hathermere. 

Before they could utter another word, Michael stepped out from the back of the hall where he had been standing quietly watching the proceedings. Walking slowly towards them, all went quiet as his warm aura filled the room and the women turned in wonder at the handsome stranger. 

"I am Michael," he said, "and I assure you that these people have nothing to do with the devil. These are good, honest people, just like you Teresa and you, Phoebe. The only difference is they have somewhat different capabilities than you do. Teresa, I know you are a fine seamstress and can produce a dress so beautiful in a single day. Phoebe, you do wonders to that garden of yours that, to some, would seem to have been created by an angel. Now tell me ladies, how does that differ from what these fine folk are capable of? Jemima, Jo, Chris and the other vampires have super human speed and strength and will live for many years to come. Lilly, Rose, Gabriel, Wyatt and some others can change into animals. December, Moira and the other witches can cast spells. But it matters not because you are all God's children. You must remember that," he said, very gently taking each woman's hand and squeezing ever so slightly. 

Teresa and Phoebe both blushed and immediately sat down. "Please carry on, Gabriel," said Phoebe quietly, placing the bible back in her floral handbag. 

"Now that you know the truth about who we are, I must tell you the most frightening truth of all. The truth about Calliope. This is no ordinary woman. In fact she she is no woman at all. The fact of the matter is she is..." Gabriel cleared his throat, "she is a Nephilim." 

One woman raised her hand and Gabriel nodded, "But what is this... Nephilim?" she asked innocently. 

"Well, you could liken them to devilish creatures. Many, many years ago..." and Gabriel went on to tell the ladies of Powell River all about the Nephilim and all they knew about Calliope. 

Tears flowed as they realised what they were up against but all of them were willing to do everything in their power to get their men back and return their town to the place it once was.

They'd been trapped for hours, watching in silence as Calliope danced with many different men, feasted on more raw meat before drinking what looked like blood and watched as the men fought each other with swords. But not once were any of them harmed. 

"I don't get it," said Jo, standing up from the ground where she had sat for so long, stretching her legs, "all this time, and she hasn't done anything nasty. I thought the Nephilim were evil beasts?" 

"They most definitely are," said Zoltan, "She has imprisoned us. She's got all the men in this town under a ridiculous spell and...." 

"And what, Zoltan? Other than the poor man who was killed by the truck, she hasn't actually harmed anyone. Don't you think it's a little strange? And all she seems to want to do with these guys is dance, watch them play fight, oh, and occasionally kiss them on their cheeks. Okay I admit that's a bit weird but she's hardly the beast we figured her to be. There's something strange going on, if you ask me." 

"Maybe she's a diversion," suggested Carmelo who had said very little since they'd been trapped up there. 

"That sounds more like it," answered Zoltan, folding his arms over his chest. 

"She's gone to an awful lot of work for a diversion," muttered Walter. 

As they spoke, neither of them noticed the music had halted and all was quiet. 

"Erm guys...." said Zoltan suddenly as the rest of them turned to look down below. "She's gone..." 

All of the men were laying on the floor, apparently asleep, and Calliope was nowhere to be seen. 

Carmelo listened intently. The humming had also gone. He held out his arms to discover the invisible force field had disappeared. They were free. 

"I don't like this," whispered Jo, "There's something not right here." 

The four of them walked to the edge of the upper level and jumped down with complete ease. Only Zoltan landed with a thud. 

"You okay?" asked Carmelo to his friend who nodded. 

Suddenly, they were surrounded. The men of Powell River didn't look so happy about their descent. They stared in silence, hovering back and forth like a group of zombies about to pounce. 

Suddenly, that's exactly what they did, and they all seemed to possess an unnatural strength, picking up the vampires and werewolf and throwing them hard against the wall, causing the pyramid to shake with the force. 

Carmelo was back on his feet. He threw himself on the nearest column and climbed up. The men might have superhuman strength but they weren't able to climb. 

"Climb!" he shouted to the others as they all glanced over before following suit. 

Stuck atop the columns in the pyramid, the men of Powell River surrounded them from below, looking up and grunting like rabid animals, rocking back and forth. 

"What do we do?" shouted Jo as she gripped with all her strength to the round pillar in the centre of the room, flames dancing at her feet.