Chapter 18

CHAPTER EIGHTEEN 

"What were those things?" asked Zalea. 

"I think there is a very good possibility they were mermaids." 

"Mermaids? But I thought mermaids were supposed to be good?" 

"They were good... that first one only grabbed us because something really bad happened to her before, at the hands of the Nephilim. It was the Nephilim that made her that way. It's kind of sad." 

"Yes, it is very sad. I shall never want to go bathing in a river... ever... again." 

Jack laughed heartily, "I know what you mean. I'm sure we can still bathe. We just need to be quick about it and keep a look out. There was one good thing that came out of that encounter though," he smiled as Zalea looked at him quizzically. 

"The Nephilim? Dacius told us how to get there." 

"Oh yes, of course!" she chuckled. "All we need to do is to follow the river towards the mountains and then enter the cave through the waterfall where the river widens. Is that right?" she asked and he nodded in return. 

"Absolutely." 

After the couple had rested and dried off, they picked up their bags, threw them onto their backs and continued on their way along the riverside, in silence. 

"Tell me about your daughter, Jack?" Zalea said quietly. 

Taking a deep breath, Jack pouted his lips and turned to look away from her. 

"I'm sorry. If it's too difficult to talk...." 

"No, it's not that. It's just.... just that we went through hell for years, you know. I feel like I lost her and she had such a terrible childhood. And I couldn't do a damn thing about it. I couldn't help her. I wanted to, you know, God how I wanted to. But there was just nothing I could do..." he croaked. 

Zalea patted him on his back, "I understand." 

"No, I don't think you do, Zalea. I don't think I really understand what happened either. That woman, that evil woman, she put me under that spell for years... so many years. Lilly must be 15 or 16 by now, and I wasn't there for any of it. Not really." 

"I'm sorry, Jack. It must have been unbearable for you." 

"I just hope Lilly is okay, you know? I mean, really okay, deep down. No child should ever have to go through what she went through. Losing her mother and her...s...sister like that," Jack turned away again as a few tears escaped from his eyes. He rubbed them away and turned back, attempting a smile at his new friend. "Sorry, I just miss them, I miss them all so much...... Is that a bird?" he asked suddenly looking upwards to see where the gentle sound of flapping wings was coming from. 

"A bird?" Zalea asked, "What's that?" 

"You don't know what a bird is?" he asked astounded as she shook her head. 

"A bird is a small creature with wings... but, if you don't have birds in your world, then what is that?" he asked as it suddenly dawned on him that they could be in danger as the large winged creature swooped down towards them. 

"Run, Zalea... hide behind those rocks!" he yelled, astounded at what he saw. 

The flapping wings slowed down significantly at the sound of Jack's voice and the creature swooped down just metres from them. 

As Jack prepared to protect them both from harm, the creature opened its mouth and squawked loudly, making them jump. It then lowered its head for a moment before peering back up at them as if waiting for a response.