Chapter 49

CHAPTER FORTY-NINE

The Sheriff's deputy, Shirley Brown, had brought all the weapons she could find to the Community Centre, in the back of her station wagon. 

"Just in case," she'd said, handing the guns around. "But don't just go shooting around anywhere and everywhere, ladies. You aim only at those beasts, nobody else. We don't want a blood bath of our own kind." 

"Thank you, Shirley," Rose said, "it's good to know you understand our plight." 

"That's quite all right, Rose. I'm the Sheriff's Deputy and I'm here to take out the enemy." 

So there they stood, women of all ages, some carrying hand guns, machine guns, rifles, knives, kitchen knives, baseball bats, and so on. Some were dressed in head to toe black, others simply wore what they always wore, floral dresses, pinafores, dungarees, trouser suits, skirt suits, etc. 

They stood to attention, waiting for the go ahead to move on to the pyramid and get their men back. 

But just as they were making their final preparations, December's head began to throb incessantly. 

"It's Jack," she shouted to anybody nearby, "He must have some news for us," she said with a grunt, falling to the floor in a heap. 

"He wanted me to repeat exactly what he heard....'When the comet flashes across the sky and when the light of the full moon crosses the pinnacle of the golden eagle, we will be freed from this hell hole where we have been trapped for thousands of years. It's the pyramid. He said something about Calliope having been disobedient in the past but that she created the pyramid for their release. But, they're going to sacrifice her before they kill everyone near to her. They plan to claim their title as the rightful heirs to this world..." 

December's head fell back on to Moira's lap as she carefully dampened her brow with a wet cloth. 

"She's feeling worse than she usually does," said Millicent, "It was a lot to take in... she really needs some rest." 

"No," muttered December, lifting herself up, "No. I'm fighting too, you're not leaving me here." 

Moira looked across at Lilly.  

"It's no use, you know. If you try and stop her, she'll only go and orb herself there which will be more dangerous," Lilly added. 

Gabriel and the elders stood by her side discussing Jack's findings.  

"We must stop them. Can we destroy the pyramid? he asked, looking at Michael. 

"We can try but I believe the clue lies with the Golden Eagle. Perhaps if we destroy that first?" 

"We can only try," said some of the others as Gabriel turned to face the crowd. 

"But what about this comet? This is the first we've heard about it?" he said. 

Michael shook his head, "I'm afraid there is no time to find out about that." 

"It's time," Gabriel announced to the crowd. "We must destroy the pyramid, and the Golden Eagle that rests on its pinnacle. Let's hope that is enough. My friends, those of you that can change, I would advise you to. Good luck to us all. Let's go!" he yelled before they all piled out of the Community Centre and into their vehicles.

"I can't hold on for much longer," said Zoltan as his grip began to loosen around the smooth pillar. 

"You must," yelled Walter, "they will try to rip you apart if you fall and we cannot risk harming any of them. They are innocents in all of this, after all."