Chapter 7

CHAPTER SEVEN 

Moira placed the telephone receiver back on its old fashioned holder and looked to the top of the stairs where Lilly and December both sat in their pyjamas eagerly awaiting news. 

"That was Jo. They've found Jemima. She's alive." 

Both girls squealed with delight and jumped up, running down to the bottom of the stairs where they threw themselves on her. 

"But she's no longer human," Moira added slowly, "Duran turned her into a vampire." 

The squealing stopped abruptly as the three looked at each other, not knowing what to say. 

"At least she's alive," said a voice from the shadows. "That's more than can be said for me." 

"Oh Mother, honestly. But, I suppose you're right. I just hope that poor girl can come to terms with what's happened to her over the past few weeks." 

"What happened?" asked Lilly eagerly. 

Looking up at the grandfather clock as it began to signal five o' clock in the morning, Moira shook her head and started to walk towards the kitchen. 

"Come in here, I'll make us some hot chocolate while I tell you what Jo said." 

".... and she thought she was as good as dead," said Moira after relaying what she had been told. 

"Well, she would have been if she wasn't a vampire. Goodness only knows how long she was unconscious in the water. The poor girl. She must have been terrified. She must still be terrified. Where is she now?" asked Ruby. 

"Jo was calling from your house, Lilly. They were just freshening themselves up before heading back up to the Elders." 

"B... but surely she's a real danger to everyone at home? When Jo was first turned, she had to be restrained..." said Lilly, jumping up and heading back towards the phone. 

Moira stopped her before she could get any further, "Honey, there's nothing to worry about. Jemima is incredibly weak. She couldn't hurt a mouse. That awful craving that usually happens has been dampened down to such an extent because of what she's been through. There's really no danger at all. Please don't worry, honey. Your family and friends are perfectly safe and besides... Carmelo is there and so is Zoltan. They are very strong," she smiled. 

"Oh... okay.... Sorry, I guess I panicked a bit. I just worry about them, you know?" 

"Of course you do. We understand. Plus, this is the first time you've been away from them all since you moved to Canada. It's only natural. You can call them later on if you need to but let them get some rest for now, okay?" 

Lilly nodded and walked back into the kitchen where she sat herself up to the counter next to December. They watched Moira finish making another hot chocolate before handing each a cup. December mumbled her thanks, followed by a wide yawn. 

Like a domino effect, Lilly yawned too, causing Moira to open her mouth for more oxygen. The three of them giggled as Ruby over exaggerated her effort to yawn, making a long loud yawning sound in the process. 

"It's been so long since I needed to do that... oh how I miss it," she said with a wink. 

Later that morning, after they'd returned to bed for a couple of hours, the girls had woken up to the smells of a cooked breakfast being prepared in the kitchen. After they'd showered and dressed, they'd rushed downstairs, with tummies rumbling loudly, to find Monty in the kitchen waiting for them. 

"Morning girls! I trust you had a good night's sleep?" he asked as he began to serve the delicious eggs and bacon with toast and tea. 

"Mmmm, this smells gorgeous Monty, thank you!" said Lilly tucking into it as December opened one of the cupboards, taking out a bottle of Brown Sauce and proceeded to pour loads of it onto the side of her plate, followed by curry flavoured Ketchup.