Chapter 9

CHAPTER NINE 

The spell worked. December, Moira, Ruby and Lilly looked on in utter shock as Millicent appeared to them in earnest. Not just a floating spirit but a woman with a body. 

"Oh, get the woman some clothes, already. She'll freeze to death in here standing there naked like that. And after all of this, we certainly wouldn't want to lose her to the cold would we?" said Ruby, floating around her ancestor in shock. 

"Yes, yes, of course. I'll run upstairs and get something for her to wear," muttered Moira, who was having some difficulty believing the spell had actually worked. 

"I'm human again... after all these years. I can barely believe it," whispered Millicent, pinching her arms and jumping up and down. 

"Woah there. Can you wait 'til you've got some clothes on before you start doing all those gymnastics" sniggered December with a grin. 

"Oh, sorry... I'm just excited. It's been a long time since I felt like this. Well, since I actually felt at all." 

After Moira had hurriedly returned with an outfit, Millicent struggled to put on the jeans. But when she did, she looked just like one of the family. 

Finally, December hugged her ancestor and squealed, "I can't believe it. I just can't believe it." 

Lilly remained seated on the bed, not quite sure what to do or say. 

"Let's all go upstairs and get something to eat and drink. This calls for a celebration, don't you think?" said Moira, leading Millicent up the steps and out into the bright light of the hallway and into the kitchen. 

"You sit yourself down and I'll just go to the garden to tell Monty about our guest and then we'll have something for lunch." 

Millicent couldn't stop touching things. The kitchen worktop, the toaster, the sink, the tap (the feel of the running water particularly excited her), the fluffy towels... it was as if she was feeling everything for the first time. But then, she probably was considering she was originally from the 1200s. 

Just as the excitement was building for them all, December fell from the stool to the ground, clutching her head in pain. 

"Call for Moira please Lilly," said Millicent, deftly picking December up from the floor and helping her into the living room where she placed her carefully on the sofa. 

"Now this is what you called me here for, December. You must trust me when I tell you I know exactly what you are going through. I need you to focus. I know it is not easy but you must focus on the pain. The pain is trying to tell you something. Can you focus on it? It will eventually go away but you must find out where it's coming from. Who it's coming from." 

The others rushed into the room and watched as Millicent calmed December down, calmly talking to her and getting her to focus all she could on the pain. 

"Now close your eyes. Do you see anything?" 

December gently shook her head and winced. 

"It's all right, December. You can talk. Don't move your head, just talk to me. What do you see?" 

After a few moments, December spoke, "I see a man." 

"That's good. Can you describe him?" 

"No, it's too dark. I can just see his outline." 

"Can you see where he is?" 

"It's so dark." 

"Can you hear anything?"