Chapter 29

CHAPTER TWENTY-NINE

The following morning school had been cancelled. 

December, Crystal and Millicent all sat on the bed in Lilly's bedroom while Lilly hunched over the computer at her desk, "It says that in Greek mythology, a Siren was 'one of a group of sea nymphs who by their sweet singing lured mariners to destruction on the rocks surrounding their island'. Or simply put, it says a Siren is a 'woman regarded as seductive and beautiful'," she said, turning to face them. 

"It sounds about right... although Calliope isn't quite dragging the men to their deaths on the rocks," said December. 

"No, but she's certainly luring them away from their lives... some of them to their deaths," she replied, almost choking on the final word. 

"Oliver and Ben are okay... at least we know that much," said Crystal who had managed to briefly speak to Ben on the phone, just to make sure they were still alive and well. 

"For now anyway," added Millicent. "If she's a Siren, goodness only knows what she's planning for them all." 

"Well, Gabriel and Carmelo have told us not to worry. That's why they're all here; to sort out the problem." 

"I can't stand this. I feel like I need to do something. I'm just so, so helpless. Not only with Calliope but my dad too. It just feels like it's been dragging on for so long, you know?"  

The girls looked at each other sadly and nodded. 

"We know honey. We'll get to the bottom of it soon enough," said Crystal as she stood up and pushed her hand through her short blonde hair. Walking over to the mirror, she pulled out a lip gloss and deftly brushed a little on to her full lips just as a prism of light glinted across her dark skin in the sunlight. 

"This is pretty," she said, looking at the little crystal angels hanging either side of her window. 

"They were a gift from Oliver when I first arrived here," she said, gulping back her tears. 

"Oh, I'm sorry. We can't seem to say anything right... but I know how you feel, Lilly. She's got Ben too." 

"This is crazy, we are a house full of amazing and strong supernatural creatures. Surely we can sort out one stupid Siren," said December who suddenly stood up and stretched her arms and legs. "I say we go back and see if we can figure out just how powerful (or not) this Calliope really is." 

All standing, the girls grabbed their coats and went to open the door. 

"Wait," said Lilly, "the others aren't going to just let us go over there." 

"They're not going to know, are they?" said Crystal with a glint in her eye. 

"Some of them are vampires, they've got super human hearing. They probably heard everything we just said." 

But Crystal shook her head, "They went out earlier when you were still asleep. They have no idea." 

Giggling, the girls opened the door and walked right out of the house, stopping to tell only Sammy and Tiffani they were just going for a walk. 

"Not so fast girls," said a voice by the front door. 

They turned to find Zoltan and Tabitha smiling at them. 

"We know you too well... and we know when something's going on. Come on, out with it," he growled with a cheeky grin. 

"Okay, if you must know, we're going to check Calliope out. Find out how strong she really is," said Lilly matter of factly. 

"Awesome... action at last!" he said as Tabitha grinned and they followed the girls out into the driveway. 

"Come on, we can all squeeze into my car," Tabitha said as she unlocked her battered old red Chevy and they all climbed in. 

"I'll drive," exclaimed Zoltan as his girlfriend headed towards the driver's door. 

"Oh come on...you always drive." 

"You expect me to get into this car full of girls and be driven by another one," he laughed shaking his head, "Give me the keys, Tab. I'm drivin'." 

Tabitha threw her head back in laughter, "God, you are so predictable," as she tossed him her keys. 

"And you love me for it," he added, catching the keys with one hand as they climbed in. 

"Action... here we come," he growled as he put his foot on the accelerator and wheel spun out of the driveway. 

Driving through Powell River, it seemed like a ghost town. There were 'closed' signs across shops, cafés and even the large supermarket where most people did they grocery shopping. 

"So this is what happens when all the men disappear, is it?" asked Crystal quietly.  

"It's insane, it's almost like the world couldn't go on without man," added Millicent. 

"Rubbish, absolute rubbish," said Tabitha, "of course we could survive without men. The women in town are just dealing with shock, that's all. The men have just suddenly upped and left. All they need is a bit of time to come to terms with what's happened and it'll be business as usual." 

Zoltan laughed, "You're saying you wouldn't be bothered if Calliope had an effect on me too?" 

"That's not what I said... but I could cope, of course I could. I'm a strong, independent woman." 

"Yeah, sure you are babe," he laughed. 

"What on earth is that?" asked Lilly as they drove over the brow of the hill and saw what used to be Ben's Veterinary Practice in the distance. 

"Oh. My. God," said Tabitha, "What the heck has she done to it?" 

As they approached, Zoltan pulled the car over to the side of the road and they all climbed out, mouths wide open in disbelief at what they saw before them. 

The simple square brick building was no longer there. In its place stood a massive orange pyramid-like structure that spread over hundreds of square metres. On its pinnacle sat a large golden eagle. Not a real one, but one sculpted literally out of gold, glittering in the sunlight. 

"I can't believe Ben would have agreed to this... it's just so....so....." uttered Crystal. 

"Flashy?" suggested December and Crystal nodded, her eyebrows almost stuck together as she shook her head. 

"It's like something out of an alien movie or something. It's insane. Totally insane," whispered Tabitha. 

The group stood staring at the huge structure that was surrounded by hundreds of cars. Cars that hadn't been parked as such, just left where they'd stopped. Fortunately the clinic was located at the end of a lane. Had it been on a main road, the cars would've completely blocked it up. 

"Come on, let's get closer," said Zoltan, turning and taking Tabitha's hand in his. The others followed behind. 

As they approached, the soothing sounds of gentle singing could be heard. 

"What is that?" asked Millicent. 

"Someone's singing, I think," answered Lilly, "But it's not like any singing I've ever heard." 

As they stood at the back of the building, December put her hand on the structure to feel what it was made of. 

"What is it?" asked Tabitha. 

"I don't know, but it's warm. Feel," she replied. 

All six put their hands on the building, "It's almost like it's heated. Weird," said Lilly, "Let's creep around to the front." 

As they rounded the pyramid's edge, all six of them gasped and quickly stepped backwards. 

"Did you see that?" asked December. 

"How could we not?" replied Lilly, "Oh God... this is crazy. Who is she and WHAT is she doing to our men?"