Chapter 27

CHAPTER TWENTY-SEVEN 

It seemed like forever that December and Lilly had sat sobbing in Rose's house as both their families fussed around them, doing everything they could to try and make them feel better. 

They'd seen vampires rip their enemies to pieces, evil witches cruelly commit murder, people turn into bizarre creatures, but this was the first time they'd witnessed an innocent man obliterated by a speeding truck. And the reason? Simply that he'd been under the strange spell of a woman named Calliope. 

"The Elders are on their way, sweetheart, with Carmelo and Jo and the others," said Moira who sat beside her daughter gently stroking her red hair. 

Lilly was still in shock, unable to speak while both sat next to each other, holding each other's hands as tears rolled down their cheeks. 

Lilly's uncle Wyatt arrived and walked into the kitchen. He was as pale as a sheet. 

"His name was Adrian Donovan," he said whilst removing the brown scarf from around his neck before taking off his woollen beige coat, "He wasn't from around here. Apparently he was just visiting some old school friends when... when it happened." 

"I can't believe it, I just can't believe it," muttered Lilly. 

"I know darling, I know," soothed Rose as she stood holding one of her many cats as it purred loudly in her arms. 

Suddenly, December looked up, startled, "I've just realised something!" she said aloud. 

"Hm... what's that sweetheart?" said her dead grandmother, who had been hovering around the room carefully avoiding the cats, who began to growl whenever she went near them. 

"Wyatt... you're not under her spell. But I thought it was all men. But you're not... you're not, you know, erm, supernatural?" she asked. 

"Oh my," said Rose, "she's right, Wyatt. Why aren't you affected? You must have the gene. You must have the raven gene. But you've never been able to change? That's strange." 

Wyatt's eyes lit up, "I'm... I'm not sure. The change just never happened for me." 

"But this means you've probably got it in you to change, Uncle Wyatt," said Lilly with a sad smile, "When was the last time you tried?" 

He shook his head and went from one foot to the other, "Not for a long time. Years, maybe seven or eight." 

"I think perhaps it's time you tried again, young man. How wonderful, another Tulugaq family member who can probably change into a raven. Oh how exciting," clapped Ruby. 

"Mother, now is not the time for excitement... the girls are mourning here. There is a time and a place, you know," scolded Moira as Ruby immediately dropped her hands to her sides and looked to the ground like a child. 

"Wyatt, yes it is very likely you can change but Moira is quite right, now is not the time for this. Perhaps you can concentrate on the raven gene later. Now there are two things we need to focus on. One is this Calliope woman and the other is Jack..." 

Just as Rose was speaking, there was a tap on the door before it was pushed open to reveal Carmelo and Jo. They rushed to the girls' side and hugged them both. 

"We're so sorry you had to witness something so horrendous. Are you both okay?" she asked, looking into their eyes sorrowfully. 

After a few moments, December and Lilly both nodded. 

"We will be... but now you're here, can we concentrate on finding out more about this woman?" 

"I'll put the kettle on," said Rose, stretching her legs before she began filling the kettle with water and putting it on the heat.