Chapter 37

CHAPTER THIRTY-SEVEN

The fights continued well into the night, Calliope doing nothing more than sitting and watching. There was never any blood drawn, the fight would just continue until one of the opponents fell to the ground. 

Calliope would then halt the proceedings, let them gather themselves up before she chose two more to continue the fighting. 

At precisely 2 'o' clock in the morning, Calliope stood and all went quiet. The three outsiders looked across at the faces of the other men and they all appeared to be gazing up at her with smiles spread across their faces. It was the look you'd expect a man to give a woman as she walked down the aisle on their wedding day. A look of pure love and devotion. It was clear these men would do anything for Calliope and she knew it. 

But Calliope was more focussed on something that was going on outside. She walked through the crowd and out into the freezing cold, staring up at the night sky... up at the moon, which was almost full. 

She smiled and let out a deep throaty laugh that spread throughout the pyramid, a laugh that turned to a loud yell, echoing out into the night. When she returned inside, she didn't walk back to her throne, but she walked right into the throng of men and headed straight towards Carmelo. 

"I wondered how long it would take you to join us... Carmelo," she said with a smile. "Welcome to my home." 

"This isn't your home, Calliope." 

"It is now," she said, dropping her head to one side and scrutinising him. "I rather like this place. Powell River. I hadn't intended to stay," she said, turning away from him and suggesting he walk with her.  

"Then why did you come?" he asked stone faced. 

"I was curious. I wanted to know why you were asking about me." 

He flinched. "Why we were asking about you?" 

She nodded, "Yes, you were asking questions and your friends were googling me. I wanted to know why so I figured I'd stop by and see for myself. Of course, when I came upon a funeral for a girl who wasn't even dead, my curiosity peaked." 

"But...we'd never heard of you until you arrived here. So I don't understand why you think we were asking questions about you. I'm sorry, Calliope, you're wrong." 

She shook her head as she sat herself down on her throne. 

"No, Carmelo. I'm not wrong," she smiled, "and I'm staying here. I rather like it." 

"What are your intentions Calliope?" 

"Hm? I'm not sure... yet." 

"One man has already been killed as a result of your games..." 

"I have not killed anyone. No man has died at my hands" she said, looking down at her beautifully manicured hands. "Besides, man means nothing to me. He is here purely for my entertainment." 

"What the hell are you?" yelled Zoltan from the crowd, approaching her. 

"Zoltan the werewolf. I was wondering when you would introduce yourself. And Walter, while we're making our introductions, you might as well be included." 

"How do you know who we are?" asked Carmelo through gritted teeth. 

"I know everything about everyone," she said simply. 

"Who are you? What are you?" asked Zoltan, scrunching his fists into tight balls. 

Calliope dropped her head backwards and began to laugh, "You mean you still don't know? Oh dear... and here I was believing the Elders to be all knowing and all powerful, when really you're just the same as them," she said pointing to the men who continued to look at her lustfully. 

"No, we're not the same, Calliope," as Zoltan jumped towards her, changing from a stocky muscular young man into a wolf. Before he had the chance to reach her, she merely held out her arms and flicked her wrist and Zoltan was bounced from one wall to the other before she finally let him crash to the floor. 

"You were saying?" she asked. 

Carmelo and Walter retaliated, trying to pounce on her but she moved even quicker than they could. The two vampires ended up crashing into each other. 

Looking around for her, their eyes searched the room but she was nowhere to be seen. 

"I'm up here, boys, but there really is no point in you trying to stop me. I'm stronger, smarter, faster, etc., etc. than all of you put together," she said from the second floor where a few men continued to sleep on the floor. "And if you continue your silly games, the death of all these men will be on your shoulders." 

"What the hell is she?" growled Zoltan after he'd turned back into human form and donned the crazy costume he'd been forced to wear before to preserve his modesty. 

"It suits you, Zoltan," she smiled down at him. "Don't mess with me, gentlemen. If you do, you will be sorry. Nobody messes with the Nephilim."