epilogue pt. 7

ethan

*march 14*

"dude, you're sweating," grayson marvels with wide eyes, touching my forehead.

i tug on the non-breathable material of the suit and take deep breaths. "well, obviously."

"why? you're just getting married."

"just getting married," i mock in his unbothered tone. "i'll be sure to say that at your wedding, too, gray."

"look, it's a small ceremony. a couple of friends, family, and the weird guy who let himself in."

i laugh, straightening my tie in the mirror.

harper's bump isn't very big still— she thanks her slim figure— and she got to wear the dress she wanted.

i said i'd marry her in sweatpants, but clearly that didn't excite her.

on friday morning, all my homeroom students gave me a wedding gift that they all chipped in on.

conveniently enough, it was baby stuff.

they did it as a practical joke, considering they don't know harper is pregnant. she said i could share the news to those select students after the wedding, so there will be a big surprise for them when i get back from the honeymoon.

they've been egging the idea on constantly.

"you should move to the suburbs. they have really nice backyards in case of... i don't know," one of my students slyly suggested, and they all nodded eagerly.

i simply laughed, shaking my head but knowing secretly inside that their wishes were soon to be true.

grayson is my best man— obviously.

he's been really helpful through this entire process. harper's maid of honor is samantha, and she cried for four hours after she was asked. happy tears, of course.

she practically planned the entire wedding because she has so many connections around the city. she did an amazing job.

a knock comes to my door, and grayson swings it open. outside stands a grinning mark, and my mom. mark left a couple minutes ago to find some water, but i haven't seen my mom since this morning.

her eyes light up when she sees me. "you look so handsome! can i come in? you only have ten minutes? are you ready?"

the rapid fire questions catch me off guard, but i simply let out a nervous laugh. "thank you, yes you can, got it, and yes," i answer all in a row.

she slips in through the door and immediately tsks at grayson's sloppy tie, and begins to fix it.

"have you seen harper lately?" i ask, my voice showing its curiosity by raising pitch slightly at the end.

she gives me a smug smirk. "i have."

"talked to her?"

"yes. about two minutes ago."

"and... how's she doing? feeling okay? were her feet bothering her, because yesterday they—"

"relax," she soothes me, placing her hands on my shoulders. "she's doing fantastic. her mom and samantha are taking excellent care of her and she looks radiant."

i grin, feeling the excitement bubble up in my stomach.

now we wait.

                                      *********

*skipping some wedding scenes bc that's boring*

harper looks at me with dazed eyes, a small smile on her face as my hands shake a little bit with the small folded up paper i pull from my jacket pocket.

she looks amazing.

her dress is flowy lace on the bottom, and fitted uptop with thin straps on her shoulders. it poofs out only slightly, and i remember her telling samantha one time that that's what she was looking for.

and she'll be pleased to hear afterwards that her baby bump is hardly noticeable.

my vows were the easiest thing i've ever written.

i think i had them planned out in my head a week after we started dating, honestly.

they're short and simple, but filled with a million meanings.

i ignore the crowd of people staring at us, and open the slip of paper. 

"when all is said and done," i whisper only to her.

our favorite phrase ever. the phrase that started this all.

she blinks back tears in her bright green eyes as she opens her palm, showcasing her own vows.

instead of a small piece of notebook paper, it's the worn, faded and crumpled fortune cookie slip from forever ago.

she manages out a laugh as she struggles to unfold it, and then stares directly into my eyes.

"when all is said and done."