twenty-nine

ethan
(^^ back to normal scheduling lol)

on my first day back at work since christmas, i try to ignore samantha and harper's hushed gossiping about her so called, "amazing" date.

i'm happy for her, but the noise is disrupting my work.

"samantha," i eventually call out through the propped open connecting door. "your supervisor called. she said she needs to see you right now."

she looks at me confusedly. "janice needs me now? i just saw her twenty minutes ago, are you sure?"

"positive," i lie. "you just...need to leave."

she still looks confused, but hurries out of the office anyway, making harper promise to tell her the rest of the details later.

i'm about to turn to my computer when harper starts talking.

"you dirty little liar. janice didn't call sam down."

rolling my eyes, i spin in my office chair to face the door. "your guys' constant talking was giving me a headache. i'm sorry, okay? maybe janice actually does need her, and i'm doing both of them a favor."

harper shakes her head and tries to hide the amusement in her eyes. "usually i'd be mad, but i'm just having a great week."

"because of your little date?" i mutter mockingly, widening my eyes and turning away.

"it was amazing! he's a doctor, for crying out loud."

"so happy for you," i reply blandly, typing on my keyboard to pretend like i have work to get back to.

"jealous?"

"not in the least," i reply back distastefully. "i hope thomas and you live happily ever after in a big castle but please for the love of god get some soundproofing for your office then, and close this door."

she scoffs, and i set my jaw. "bitter isn't a good color on you, ethan."

"i'm not bitter!" i lie. it's clear in my tone that i'm probably the bitterest person alive right now, and harper stays quiet.

we both go back to work, but eventually i just can't stand it any longer.

does she think she can show up looking so good and expect me to behave, all while being excited that she had a good date? no. i don't think so.

i stand up from my seat suddenly and march up to harper's desk, a feeling of fire i can only explain as a craving taking over my entire body.

"ethan, what are you—" she starts to stand up, noticing the clouded look in my eyes.

i cut her off by harshly connecting our lips, the feeling immediately letting my shoulders relax as my hands roam her waist and stomach.

"ethan," she pants out, pushing me back slightly after a couple moments. "what are you doing?"

"i'm doing what we do. shut up and listen to me now, okay?" i demand, pulling her back into me.

for some reason, she obliges and let's me push her gently against the glass part of her office wall. i don't even care if pedestrians can see us right now. i want them to.

"we really shouldn't be doing this," she mumbles as my lips kiss down her exposed collarbone.

she wore an off the shoulder top today. bad idea, harper.

"just shut up for once, please?" i suggest before meeting her lips again.

she kisses me back deeply, both of us getting lost in each other's touch.

i'm literally seconds away from pulling her into my office before she steps back, and shakes her head.

"no, no, no. not here, not now," she says firmly, still trying to catch her breath.

"come on, we don't have to go all the way."

she almost laughs. "you're funny. seriously, no."

i'm disappointed, but also not going to argue with her decision. if it's not completely 100% consensual and wanted, it's not fun.

i let out a sigh. "fine. but shut up about that date before i make you, okay?"

she tilts her head, her once lustful eyes now teasing. "you're jealous, ethan."

"i'm not jealous. i'm just tired of hearing about it. i get it— he's a med student and had a lot of fun at college!"

harper shakes her head, biting back a laugh. "i've never seen you like this before."

"like what?"

she steps closer to me, brushing my chest with hers. she looks up to meet my eyes, and tilts my chin down. for a split second, i think she's going to kiss me.

"jealous," harper whispers quietly, then backs away again with a sly smile.

at this point, i'm physically restricting myself from continuing what we started.

"i'm going home early," i huff out, pushing past her and into my office.

"hey! i didn't give you permission to do that!"

"i'm sick!" i call out as i grab my coat and bag.

"no you're not. you're just mad that i didn't cave."

"nope," i breathe out, turning around to face her as i sling the bag on my back. "not at all. have fun with thomas. maybe he'll love ruby too?"

"how very low of you to drag a puppy into this, ethan," she calls after me as i hurriedly rush to the door and lay my hand on it, about ready to swing it open.

"at least she doesn't run around with other dogs, all while sleeping with her assistant."

"shhh," she shushes me quickly. "people can hear you, ethan. the world doesn't revolve around us."

i glance over my shoulder, and give her a long look.

"i know. i found that out the hard way."