twenty-one

harper

ethan walks quickly behind me, reading off a list of things that we still need to pick up before lunch break ends.

my feet are determined to get to where they need to be, causing everyone on the streets of central chicago to move out of my way.

the sun is shining brightly today, but i forgot my sunglasses. ethan offered me his, so it's either blurry vision and protected eyes, or clear vision and non protected eyes.

considering i almost fall off a curb and can't read the street signs in front of me, it's obvious which one i chose.

one of my biggest pet peeves is the sun in my eyes, so i'm willing to take the risk of falling into moving traffic.

"why do you wait so long to get gifts?" ethan mumbles, trying to catch up with me. "you did this last year too, harper."

i glance over my shoulder at him for a split second, and slow my pace down slightly. "i'm busy, ethan. christmas gifts are the least of my worries during this holiday season. what is on my mind is red and green cover art, articles, and our devoted readers."

"you have people to do that for you. when you put off stuff like this, it gets hard to manage."

"that's exactly why i have you," i state before swinging in to the large vans store on state street.

i hear him sigh, but follow me in anyway.

ethan's sunglasses come off, and my regular glasses get slipped back on as a store employee approaches us.

i look slightly out of place compared to his jeans and t shirt, but i simply give my best smile and tell him that i don't need assistance right now.

the back of the store is where all the shoes are lined up, and i immediately begin my search for the ones they didn't have online.

"who are these shoes for again?" i ask out loud to ethan.

he scrambles to look on his phone. "for your 13 year old cousin, addison."

"got it. was she the person i got in the gift exchange?"

"ummm..." he mumbles, furrows his eyes at his phone again. "no. you got brady."

i cringe. "who's brady again?"

it is not my fault. i have a huge family, and it seems like babies are just being popped out every month. i seriously can't keep up.

"born in november, your second cousin."

i hate that he knows this and i don't.

"got it, got it. what do i even get a baby for a gift exchange? that seems bizarre."

"i don't think the gift is for him, more like his parents. honestly i think they'd probably want a couple bottles of tequila to save up for a rainy day during his toddler years."

i shoot a disapproving glance. "very funny. no, seriously. what do i get them?"

"you're the one good with kids! ask yourself."

"i'm good at interacting with kids, not buying them gifts."

i spot the shoes in the corner of the store and let out a breath of relief. we both rush over to them and look around for a worker to get a different size from the back.