five

ethan

i drop the stack of papers on harper's desk as soon as she walks in at 8 am and drops her bag down.

she looks up at me, and i see a hint of confusion and irritation in her eyes. "what's this?" she asks.

i grin widely. "the calvin oliver story that he's been emailing non stop about. i went over it thoroughly friday night and i—"

"ethan," she cuts me off, voice laced with a bitter tone. "i don't have time for this. it's already been a long day, and you're not making my job any less stressful, which is technically what you're supposed to be doing."

my smile falters, and a sinking feeling fills up my stomach. "o-oh, you just told me a couple of days ago that i should be the first to look at it... and i did, see? the blue ink is stuff that i didn't like, and the black ink is—"

she breathes out a breath of frustration and rubs her temples. "i'm sorry, ethan, but please leave me alone for this morning? i can't deal with this right now."

i hide my disappointment and nod, sliding the file folder into my hands and walk back to my office.

i thought she would like that i took it seriously, but now i just feel embarrassed.

she made me work on the pitch, just so i could feel important, and not actually make an impact in her routine.

right. like my entire life.

for the rest of the morning, i avoid looking through the glass door at all costs and immerse myself in my work even more than usual. i respond to around 50 emails that she forwarded me, and even schedule a couple more meetings.

at 11 am, i get a reminder notification pop up on my computer screen.

harper brown
nail appointment, 11:30 am 12/02/20

my breath catches in my throat at the idea of getting up and talking to her, especially when she definitely voiced that i need to leave her alone.

but at 11:10, i realize i can't put it off any longer.

slowly, i stand up and grasp the door handle, trying not to make much noise as i turn it and shuffle through her open office.

harper bites her bottom lip as she flips through pages of print, and her eyes flick on the paper vigorously.

i clear my throat, and her head snaps up.

"y-you have a nail appointment in twenty minutes," i can't help but stutter.

she thankfully remains calm and nods, dismissing me back to my office.

i sit down in my desk chair, utterly relieved.

how sad is it that a 24 year old man is scared of his boss who is roughly 5'7" and the same age as him?

days where she's like this are rare, but they occur.

i'm about to continue my work, when a small knock comes from the door. i turn to see a half-smiling harper, and furrow my eyebrows.

she opens the door. "i, um, i'm leaving to go to my appointment."

i nod. "okay."

harper looks at her feet, then back up at me. "i'm sorry i yelled at you this morning. it wasn't right to take my personal problem anger out on you, and i hope you can forgive me."

slightly shocked, i say, "it's okay."

"no, it's not. come with me and i'll buy you lunch?"

i debate the idea in my head. she's waiting expectantly for an answer, so out of pure pressure, i just simply nod my head and stand up to get my coat.