epilogue pt. 2

ethan

*august 24*

"i'm a nervous wreck," i mumble, desperately trying to button up my plain white shirt.

harper rolls her eyes and drops her mascara wand. "oh relax, you big baby." she takes my hands away from my shirt and begins to button it up for me. "you're going to do great. everything will be fine."

"what if the kids don't like me?"

she shrugs. "their loss. but seriously, they will. just do your best."

"this is why i love you," i breathe out, feeling myself calm down from her words.

she smiles, and runs her hands down my chest, stopping them at my stomach. "you're amazing. never underestimate yourself ever again."

i nod. "tie or no tie?"

her eyes narrow. "depends on what tie?"

"plain black?"

"no."

"the fun wine colored one with mini dots?"

"yes."

i laugh, walking to the closet to find it. i lamely attempt to tie it correctly, but we both know harper will just have to fix it anyway.

after breakfast, she noisily picks up her car keys, dangling them around while she dramatically makes an exit.

"don't get cocky now that you drive. you suck at it."

she laughs. "i'm sorry, okay! i'm just proud of myself for finally using my license. i haven't since i was 20, really."

i lean down to plant a kiss to her lips, and grab my bag from the foyer. ruby is fully potty trained now, and spends the day in her kennel.

"goodbye, i love you," i remind her.

"good luck. call me at your lunch break, and don't be weird."

laughing, i reply, "that's a bad first impression?"

she straightens my tie. "i would have second-hand embarrassment for you if you walked in and immediately started to crack lame dad jokes."

"goodbyeee," i draw out impatiently.

"oh hush. we're leaving at the same time."

we both walk outside and lock the door behind us and get into our separate cars. hers is a sleek, white range rover that she debated on buying for an entire month.

i still have nando. he's all i need.

my commute to the school is only 20 minutes, and i fill it with a podcast hooked up to my bluetooth. the nostalgic rush of students piling through the door on their first day makes a bit of fear spike in me, but i remain calm.

students tilt their heads when they see me walk in, one hand stuffed in my pocket casually and the other swaying at my side. i smile at those who smile at me, and retreat to the classroom harper helped me set up a couple weeks ago.

desks are pushed together in groups rather than spread out; i think students should be able to talk to each other and collaborate effectively. that's what working in an office taught me.

the walls used to be a boring white, but i convinced the principal to let me paint one of them with chalkboard paint so the students could have fun with it if they wanted.

i sit down at my desk in the front corner of the room and start to arrange my stuff around. i have a homeroom that comes in first thing in the morning to take attendance, then classes 2-8th period.