sixteen

ethan

the house is big, but cozy at the same time. i can tell before we even get inside by the warm lights that can be seen through the windows.

"alright," harper whispers to me before i can open the door. "i don't have much time to give you a pep talk, but—"

the door swings open, cutting off her sentence.

"harperrr!" a middle aged woman with red hair coos, opening her arms.

harper stiffly hugs the woman back, and i try not to laugh.

"wow, it's so good to see you! and..." her eyes travel to me, and she immediately gets a smug smile. "who's this?"

"i'm ethan," i hold out my hand, but she yanks me into a tight hug instead.

it's now harper's turn to laugh as i fight to catch a breath, and awkwardly hug back.

"ethan, this is my aunt jill. aunt jill, this is my boyfriend... ethan," she explains as soon as i'm let out of the airtight hug.

"very, very nice to meet you, ethan. come inside. it's so cold."

harper gives me one last apologetic look before stepping inside. i follow her in and slip my shoes off by the pile at the rug.

out of habit, i reach to grab her coat, since it's what i usually do when we're out at meetings.

aunt jill gives a small, happy little gasp. "such a gentleman!"

"o-oh yeah," i cover up with a smile. "where um, where should i put our coats?"

"don't be silly, i'll take them. go introduce yourself to everyone."

jill runs off giddily with our jackets, and i follow harper through the house filled with christmas decorations, and into the kitchen.

many people can be seen drinking from plastic cups, and laughing. every now and then, a couple little kids will run past and through people's legs.

it makes me smile as i remember being that young, and doing that too.

as everyone's eyes land on us, a hush is spread through the room.

i shift on my feet and bite the inside of my cheek, already hating how much attention is being shown to me and harper.

"hey, guys," harper weakly smiles. "it might be easier to introduce him to everyone all at once, so this is ethan. my... boyfriend."

i step out a little, and give a small wave and a closed mouth smile to the room. everyone seems to be in slight shock that harper showed up with a man.

honestly, why did i agree to this?

the silence is quickly followed up with a murmur of hellos, and a couple of people move towards us. anxiety spikes through my stomach, but harper places a hand on my forearm to calm me.

i'm greeted with the biggest smile ever, from someone i recognize from pictures around harper's office.

her mom.

"it's so nice to meet you, ethan," she leans in for a hug.

i hope she doesn't recognize my voice from that one time over the phone.