thirty-one

harper

"feel better, okay? promise me you'll only eat dry foods and water?" ethan asks through the rolled down window as i get out of the car.

i think about it for a moment.

i kind of want his company right now.

"ethan, you have the day off today."

he looks puzzled. "what?"

"yeah, but the only catch is that you have to spend it with me or else it doesn't count."

he rolls his eyes playfully, turning off the car. "fine."

he follows me into my house where i immediately shed off my shoes, coat, and take my hair down. he busies himself in the living room as i change out of my work clothes into something comfier.

i wipe the makeup off my face, brush my teeth, and put my glasses back on.

when i meet ethan back out in the living room, he gives me a once over and says, "you look awful."

i groan. "i knowww."

"i'm kidding," he laughs a little, reaching out to push a strand of hair behind my ear. "that's borderline impossible."

"we were literally mad at each other yesterday. pick a side, ethan."

he shrugs. "i choose to be neutral."

"yeah, neutral when it gets you in my pants," i roll my eyes.

"aw," he smiles sarcastically. "you know me so well."

"you're a pig," i say, only half-joking.

"oink."

"shut up."

he follows me into the kitchen where i pour myself a glass of water, and he takes a soda from my fridge. "seriously," he says. "you have to stop destroying your digestive system like this."

"it's so tempting though! i ate the entire pint in under an hour."

"the entire pint?" he yells. "harper, that's why you're still throwing up this morning. that's so not good for you."

"and what're you gonna do about it?" i ask, stepping closer to him.

i want him to kiss me, not because i like him, but because i like his kisses.

"probably nothing," he replies and pushes past me.

i frown, drinking my water quickly. "wow, so you're only on board when it's a convenient time for you?"

"you're literally sick, harper."

"a stomachache, ethan."

"so then tell me what you want," he says in a low voice. "and maybe i'll give it to you."

my mouth dries out just from his words, and i scramble to form a coherent sentence.

this man drives me crazy.

"i don't want anything," i force myself to say, not wanting ethan to win yet again.

"gonna go cry to thomas?"

i roll my eyes. "why are you acting so possessive? we have an agreement, ethan. this is all for fun."

"what happens when you actually become official with thomas? you can't cheat on the guy. as soon as you put a label on him, it's over with this whole thing."

"i understand that fully but—"

"no buts, harper," he shakes his head. "maybe it was only supposed to be a one time thing. or never at all, honestly."