nine

harper

"okay, okay," i laugh out, putting my plastic fork back in the small container of white rice. "what's your fortune?"

ethan cracks open a fortune cookie, and places the slip of paper on my living room coffee table. he begins to eat the cookie quickly, and stare at the paper.

"why don't you just open it now?" i ask.

"because," he muffled through a mouth full of food. "it's bad luck if you look at the fortune before you eat the cookie. never heard of it?"

i shake my head, and he finishes off the rest of the fortune cookie.

we both lean across the couch a little as he picks up the slip of paper, and turns it around.

"in a world full of worms," he reads off slowly. "be a glow worm."

i laugh loudly and there's no denying the disappointment on his face. he throws the slip of paper back onto the table, and sulks into the couch.

"now i want to read mine," i giggle out, grabbing it from my pocket and beginning to tear open the plastic.

i crack open the cookie, and hold one half out to ethan. he raises his eyebrows, but takes it.

"since you got a bad fortune, how about this one's for both of us?" i offer, beginning to nibble on the cookie.

"deal."

we both finish it, and i reach for the paper.

"when all is said and done, the love of your life is presented right before your eyes."

ethan's face scrunches up a little and takes the fortune from my hands, and reads it over again.

i try to decipher it in my head. what could that possibly mean?

"it seems pretty straightforward other than the beginning. when all is said and done? what does that really even mean?" i ask.

"it's an ABBA song," he mumbles with a grin. "that's all i really know."

i take out my phone and look up the phrase.

"when everything is taken into account," i read off the google screen. "that's what it means. so like, after every judgment is examined, that's when a decision can be made."

"that has nothing to do with the rest of the fortune," he shakes his head. "maybe it's a malfunction in the machine or something?"

i nod my head as he tosses the slip onto the table. "probably. i mean, right in front of my eyes? yeah, no. i suck at dating."

he gives me a side eye filled with doubt. "no one can handle a 24 year old businesswoman?"

"clearly not," i sigh. "but hey, i don't need anyone else but me. and ruby."

we both glance at the puppy sleeping in front of the fire place, and grin.

"okay," he eventually says. "i think i found a place before the food came. should we call now?"

i glance at the clock and widen my eyes at the time. he's been here for two hours, but it seems like it's been twenty minutes.

"yeah, go for it."

ethan dials the number on his phone, and puts it on speaker. we hear a click, then a voice.

"londonhouse hotel, how can we assist you?"

"i'd like to call to rent out your bar on the top floor," ethan says into the phone in a demanding, confident voice. "for tomorrow night from 8-12 for around 50 people. can we make that happen?"

"t-tomorrow?" the person over the phone squeaks, clearly stressed by the demand.

but as soon as ethan tells them the amount bentley offered, plus a couple thousand more, they cave.

we negotiate everything we need and expect for the next night for about an hour, and by 10 pm everything is all set and ready for friday.

"okay, perfect," ethan says tiredly. "thank you so much."

he hangs up, and immediately sighs as he lays his head back on the couch cushions. "that took way too long."

my agreement is my yawn as i rub my eyes and check my phone. ruby's owner should be by to pick her up right around now.

ethan stands up and grabs his chinese food trash, and i point to the kitchen, right next to the sink to where a pull out trash can resides.

i follow him up as he grabs his bag and laptop, and slips on his shoes.

"thank you so much for helping me," i say, leaning against the foyer wall with my arms crossed.

he gives me a shrug. "it's my job, but you're welcome."

"ethan," i call out as he reaches for the door handle.

"yes?"

"my question of the day for you is—"

he cocks his head. "question of the day?"

"yes, because we're friends and i still know nothing about you. anyway, what's your favorite color?"

he thinks for a moment, looking at the ceiling above.

"yellow."

and with that, he's out the door.