Glowing

Chapter 14

Calista stands, looking out the window. She pulls the blanket over her shoulders tighter and watch the full moon over the lake. She use to do this as a child. The soft wind would always make her sleep better. But the house, her house wasn't the same. It was cold. Calista shivers and then jumps in fear when someone touches her shoulder.

"Sorry." 

Calista sighs. It was Eleanor. Always to the rescue.

"What's wrong?" Eleanor asks.

"Nothing." Calista turns from the window and make her way back to the bed where Stella was sleeping peacefully in the center. It was odd sleeping on the outside and not between the two but Stella needed the extra attention and groping. Calista pretends she doesn't hear but she hears everything now.

She hears Eleanor soft sighs as Stella rubs across her body. She could also hear Eleanor telling Stella to stop quietly that they could awake her but she was always already awake. But it seem it was the only way for Stella to sleep without any nightmares of her parents and little brother.

"I'm fine." She pushes getting beneath the sheets. 

Eleanor chews on her lower lip in worry and slips back underneath the sheets herself. Stella rolls over, her hand instantly going beneath the band of her underwear. Eleanor sighs and then slowly falls asleep herself.

<><>

Tala kicks Colin in the side making the other boy groan before rolling over. "Get up." She orders.

"Why?" Colin slurs, sleepiness still in his voice. Jean mumbles something and he tries his best not to wake his girlfriend who was sleeping soundly in his arms. "Can we sleep in for once?"

"No." Tala scowls.

Colin frowns looking up at his girlfriend sister. He really wished for once that the leader would relax. "The sun hasn't even come up yet. The Four isn't even up."

"That bothers me." Tala folds her arm over her chest looking around the cold house. "I don't feel safe underneath the same roof as them."

"We need them." Colin pushes. "Stop pretending like we don't."

Tala scowls, ice forming around her knuckles. Colin shakes his head and pushes Jean away softly. He then grabs the nearby pillow putting it in her arms. He grins while watching her pretend the pillow is his body.

"Let her sleep in." He whispers.

"Whatever." Tala replies but she mentally agrees. Her little sister was barely keeping up in this long journey. She was strong but sometimes Tala wondered was this life for her. Colin and Tala creeks through the old rusty house and before they could reach the front door someone voice was stopping them.

"Leaving so soon?"

Tala frowns turning around. Calista. She rolls her eyes. 

Calista walks down the steps with Luna behind her. The two Reins was heading to the back to train. She was curious to know why their guest was awake.

"We're going to get our things." Colin explains.

"Okay." Calista shrugs not caring much. "Be discreet."

Tala bites her tongue. There was no point in repeating the events of last night. She throws her hood over her head and walks out the door with Colin on her heel. Tala then stops on the front porch. "Stay behind. I don't trust them with my sister."

"Then why did you wake me?" Colin whines.

"Because." Tala hisses. "I need you to be alert."

"Fine. Be careful."