Lost Tree

Chapter 16

As everyone clean up the mess, Stella was sitting on the couch reading over the book. “Your grandmother was a Guardian Witch also.”

“I didn’t know that.” Eleanor replies. “She never told me anything. Ever.”

Calista squeezes Eleanor shoulder and the witch looks up at the other girl and give her a weak smile. Stella watches the two from the other side of the room before burying her face back into the book. She continues to read the words in perfect penmanship.

Stella laughs while turning the page. It was like reading a romantic novel. “Scarlet you were in love with Verina from the moment you looked at her.”

“Shut-up!” Scarlet sneers dropping the broken vase pieces on the floor.

Today we are having another meeting. One of the Guardians passed away yesterday. Her time was up. Vera is announcing another Guardian. This new woman is to be sworn in and bound to us forever. The ritual is very important and all the citizens must come. There is a formal dance afterwards. This means I have to put on a dress instead of my normal leather riding pants. I give the Guardians my up most respect but I still do not understand the point in having them around.’

‘Verina. That is her name. She was bound by blood and I felt the instant connection. During the dance, I could not take my eyes off of her. Her long brunette hair was pinned up by a golden clip and her glazing golden orbs had instantly caught my attention. They dressed her in the traditional enchantment gown all the Guardian Witches wore. It would be the last time she would ever wear a dress. Her attire would only consist of the armor the others and I will design. I already have a design in my mind that would be perfect for her. Something, which would be perfect for her beautiful eyes-

“Stop!” Scarlet hisses trying to rip the diary out of Stella hands. The white haired girl moves quickly making Scarlet run into the couch. Jean and Colin laughs as Scarlet chases Stella around the house. Calista rolls her eyes and Tala purses her lips at the scene. Could anyone be serious for more than five minutes?

“That is personal.” Scarlet sneers. “It’s my diary! So, give it to me.”

“I thought you didn’t own diaries.” Stella taunts from the other side of the table. Jean and Colin continues to laugh.

Scarlet hisses and tries to tackle the white haired Rein to the floor.

“Give it to her.” Calista orders. “She’s right. It is her personal feelings. You should respect that.”

Stella pouts but Calista ignores it and say, “Come on. Give it to her.” Stella hands the diary over and Scarlet snatches the book from her grasp. The Spanish Rein then makes her way back into the living room taking a seat next to Luna.

Stella stares at Calista.

“Don’t look at me like that.” Calista says. “It’s her diary.”

“From like over hundred years ago.”

“It does not matter Stella. It is hers.”

“Whatever.” Stella pout.

Calista laughs, “Go find something else to read.”

Stella giggles and the both of them stand there in the kitchen awkwardly. “I’m sorry for earlier.”

“It’s okay.”

“I’m trying…but my emotions are everywhere.”

Stella grabs Calista forearm and steps closer. “Maybe you need a distraction.”