Chapter 20: Your Days Are Numbered

Chapter 20: Your Days Are Numbered

"We don't have all day whoever you are!" Grey James yelled shooting up out of his seat beside Tyler which made their clique break out in laughter

Was it weird that every single guy I hated in this school a football or basketball player? I don't think so. I tutored Grey back in tenth grade hence he was two years older than me yet we were in the same grade now. Let's just say he might have had the looks but definitely not the brains. Successfully he had passed with my help with flying colors. Afterwards; without a Thank you might I add, he never talked to me again.

And now he didn't even remember my name.

My cheeks burned in discomfort and my legs quivered. Maybe if I didn't get up, they'd move onto the next person.

"Calm down, James. We all know you're going to be stuck here for another year. Get used to it!" Carter retorted with a smirk. The entire gymnasium broke out in laughter and I couldn't help smile at the thought of him standing up for me. Grey muttered a few words under his breath but remained quiet for a while at least after taking his seat.

Serena on the other hand didn't like it one bit. Her eyes found me in one shot and they were glaring.  If she had heat vision I'd be dead by now.

I slumped down in my seat but then Mrs. Brady repeated my name for a third time.

"Get up there before I make a scene Cerise." 

I took in a deep breath at Kelly's words before standing up. The little amount of wind in the gym gave my bare back goosebumps. I dreaded not wearing one of my granny sweaters right now. I didn't care if my deceased grandmother wore it on her seventeen birthday. It was darn right comfortable. A few puerile and mocking whistles were thrown out when the little wind blew up a bit of my dress but it didn't get far because of my speedy hands. I walked onto the tiny stage, jutting my hat down some more.

"Hey, Nerd! You got a date?" Allison Tater snorted

"Yeah, with a textbook!" Tyler replied fist bumping the laughing guys around him

"Students. Keep your foolish comments to yourself." Mrs Brady spoke into the microphone.

"I-I didn't enter." I muttered softly and quietly but Mrs. Brady only looked at me as if I was half crazy

"Of course you did, dear. Your name was the first on the bulletin and your drawing was the first one in. That drawing of that bouquet of purple perennial flowers was lovely." She chuckled moving her mouth away from the microphone.

I did remember drawing those flowers one night in the bakery but I never sent the drawing in.

"But I seriously did not enter." I couldn't  stretch that enough. Wasn't it illegal to forge signatures for events like these?

"We'll talk later." Mrs. Brady says dismissing my presence and returning to the podium.

*

"Can you believe this, Kelly? Someone forging my signature and entering the contest for me?" I tried to contain the vast amount of anger that riled up inside of me, but I just couldn't.

"Maybe it was Serena." Kelly shrugged, opening her locker

"How did Serena manage to get one of my drawings?" I asked her, pulling the hat on my head even more. If I adjusted it again I'd probably pass out or something since it felt extremely tight now

"I don't know. Magic? I can't talk to you when that hat is almost covering your entire face" She complains

"Great. It's serving it's purpose." I replied trying to open my locker but with eyes covered by the hat