Chapter 35: Party Countdown : 4 Hours To Go (Part One)

Chapter 35: Party Countdown :4 Hours To Go (Part One)

❝ I don't even like you. Why'd you go and make me feel this way? ❞

I like the summer rain

I like the sounds you make

We put the world away

We get so disconnected

____________________________________________________________

The remnants of last night seemed so surreal to me. Byron guiding me across a shiny floor in hopes of teaching me how to skate with a firm grip around my waist. Occasionally he would let go to see if I got the hang of it which I didn't then he'd return his hand to my side for further use. In an hour or less I had actually gotten the hang of it, but for some reason just his hold on me made me want to pretend not to. With his reassuring smile, he helped more and before we knew it we were the only ones gliding on the floor. Stuck in our own little world.

Completely disconnected.

I don't know what inside me made me trust Byron. He was the last person I would have trusted a few weeks ago and now it was like I couldn't get my mind off of him as cliche as that might sound. Disrupting my thoughts was the loud thud of boots and the front door closing behind.

In the hallway stood my mother drenched in rain water, closing her umbrella in the process. It was raining cats and dogs outside which wasn't a good idea since there was suppose to be the biggest party of the year tonight.

"Cerise, didn't see you come in last night." She said, taking off her wet raincoat and adjusting the drenched umbrella behind the door.

I ran a hand through my lazy hair while answering "Byron dropped me home."

"You two are becoming really close. I bet you won't find it hard to bond if Ned and I take our relationship to another level." Mom took off her boots and made her way over to the couch I was sitting on.

"We're not becoming really close." I corrected, "You threw Byron on me as a I didn't tell you about my date with Mr. Richy Rich Pants so here take his son gift."

Mom laughed when I was completely serious. "I'm sorry, Cerise. It's just you were at Kelly's and Ned sprung the question on me this morning as a part two for our disaster date a few days back."

I nodded slowly taking in her words. I guess she had a reasonable excuse. "Well I'm going to a party tonight." I said as if those were the most awkward words on this planet.

Mom held a neutral expression, but then it changed from a range of emotions. Almost as if she was surprised to somewhat happy for me.

"That- that's great." She stuttered, "I'm glad you're getting out more. Whose party?"

"Just some guy named Luke. But trust me, I'll be going with Kelly."

How reassuring

"Great. Oh and I almost forgot." Mom opened the bag that sat next to her. I leaned forward to catch a better view of what she was getting and did.

"Surprise!" She exclaimed, holding out a phone box. But not just any phone box. A gold Iphone. I admired it affectionately as if it was a newborn baby that just exit the womb. It was beautiful.

Taking it from her I thanked her and she responded with a simple hug before standing up, removing her soft hat off of her head, her curls shook in the process. "Well I'm going to go start cooking"

"It's only four ." I said, glimpsing my watch.

"Rita's sister is having this festival and I'm helping her out." She explained, "Why don't you head down to the grocery store and get me a few things."

"Uh, sure. The party isn't til tonight so why not." I shrugged, taking the piece of paper she held out.

*

It had came to my attention that maybe - just maybe I should have called Kelly to pick me up. I didn't get out much, but the nearest Smile and Shop Mart was at least five blocks away and I was not the most athletic. Yet I was in cheer leading?

Exploring the contents of my phone I hadn't noticed the car that had been driving behind me. Creepy much?

Picking up my speed I adjusted the phone to my side in case I would have to call the police. Suddenly the car's speed caught up to mine and the sound of the windows rolling down could be heard.

With heart probably in my arm I jumped when the voice addressed me.

"Sweater girl, is that you?"

The voice was too familiar.

I stopped dead in my tracks. "Pizza boy?"

In the front seat of the silver decent looking car was in fact the arse that I know as Pizza Boy or Jace like he had obnoxiously introduced himself.

"Sadly, we meet again."

"Or maybe you were just stalking me because I didn't tip you." I retorted teasingly as he smirked mischievously .

"My life's not that sad that I would have to stalk someone like you."

"Well you are a low paid pizza deliverer." I sang under my breath.

"Hey, at least I have a car."

Well, he got me there. "The only reason I don't have one is because I don't have my driver's license yet."

"Right." He laughs,

A weird silence dawned over us until he spoke "So are you gonna get in or what?"

I was taken back by his question. Get in? Get in what? His car? I barely knew the guy. Who did he think I was? As a matter of fact, who did he think he was?

"Uh, you've only delivered my pizza once. Slow your roll there, Pizza boy."

He rolled his eyes, "Not in that kind of way. You look like you can kind of use a ride, idiot."

Insulting me and offering me a ride in one sentence. How nice.

"I barely know you. No thanks." I waved him off, returning to my new phone.

"You do realize the nearest Smile and Shop Mart is an hour and twenty minutes away, right?"

I gave him a look that read How do you know I was going there ? Before he shrugged and said the words "Psychic."

I nodded slowly "Right." But despite the long distance I had to endure my legs were getting tired, so why not?

"But let me remind you" I started, touching the door handle. "I'm a blackbelt, my dad works in the FBI and I have mase." I lied

With another one of his dinky laughs he pushed the door open for me.

The hour and twenty minute ride mainly consisted of Jace and I sharing some things about each other. I found out that he attended one of our rival schools Chompton East High, was eighteen in about six days, had three sisters, secretly listened to Britney Spears and couldn't sing to save his life.

When we arrived to a large building that housed many shops I felt enlightened. Believe it or not but My feet were getting cramped from sitting down too long. Even though the time wasn't that long.

"Thanks for the ride, Jace."

"Anytime, sweater girl."

I glared at him for the name that he had been calling me to address me in our conversations in the car.

"It's Cerise." I said, waiting for him to properly call me by my birth given name.

"Whatever you say, sweater girl."

Dissolving the fact that I wasn't going to change his new found name on me I waved goodbye with a roll of my eyes and watched as the car drove off. With a stupid smile on my face a thought washed over me.

How was I getting home?