Chapter 41: Carnivals Never Go Out Of Style (Part One)

Chapter 41:Carnivals Never Go Out Of Style (Part One)

"Love is not complicated, people are."

I struggled to not let Kelly's words get to me. She didn't mean to be the way she was. She was just hurting and people who hurt were often like that. They acted the way they did to lessen the hurt.

I did the combination of my locker and took out the books that had slept inside for first period. I usually carried all of my books home to study, but I had practically forgotten thanks to the rough weekend I was having.

I glanced around the hallway, trying to spot either Carter or Byron's head. But I didn't succeed. It didn't matter who I talked to first, once I got my side of the story out. Nevertheless Carter was the victim in this situation so he would be contestant number one.

The bell rung and as usual everyone who didn't ditch class made their way to first period. I was one of the few who didn't ditch class and actually cared about getting into a good college. I jogged to my Art Class, praying in the inside that Byron would be in class so maybe I'd get a chance to talk to him.

I entered the classroom and a cool wind that came from the open classroom windows blew the fallen strands of my ponytail back. My eyes scanned the students of the stereotypical classroom.

Some cheerleaders were painting each other's nails, a small knit group of goths were splatting black paint on their canvases - which they called art - , my kind had their noses in books and two or three jocks weren't actually in this class at all. They just came here to ditch math because we had the nicest art substitute teacher on the planet and she didn't create a fuss - as long as the jocks took part in what we were doing - or at least looked two percent interested.

"Good morning, students." Mrs. Brady entered the classroom, hung her brown sweater on the coat rack that mysteriously always stood near the door and immediately went to her desk two feet away from us. She wore an autumn brown A line dress that complimented her tangerine curls and quirky light pink lipstick. It was hard to believe she was a year or two away from thirty and already married.

One of the jocks who I recognized as Adrian Cole - Kelly's sixth grade crush - let out a relaxed whistle when Mrs. Brady flashed her million dollar smile to the room. I held back my breakfast.

The guys at this school are unbelievable

Mrs. Brady ignored his action and kept showing her pristine sunshine smile and continued to teach the class.

The theme for the assignment she gave us was patience. The pencil that was in my hand for a long time had made it unbearably sore. Thankfully I was already accustomed to the pain.

I had decided to draw a beautiful brunette in an all red trench coat . She sat on a bench, waiting for a train patiently , legs crossed with a red brief case on the ground beside the bench that had took me an awfully long time to draw. Her face was hid with a red fedora - so classically I went with red. That's the only color that had came to mind before I started.

Putting the finishing touches on the brief case I glanced up from my sheet and scanned the quiet classroom which didn't stay quiet for too long. The two jocks that I had mentioned earlier were laughing, erupting the serenity of the room.

Dax Rodgers had his chair on two legs, leaning back to show Adrian his masterpiece on the sheet of paper in his hand. I tried to inch out of my seat to get a better view and I did.