Chapter 43 : Carnivals Never Go Out Of Style (Final Part Three)

"Welcome to the Carnival of Life, where dreams are reality and reality is dreams gone mad." - L. Scott Ward

"This is your house right?" Jace asked and I nodded my head slowly, wondering if I were seeing correctly.

"Thanks for the ride." I mumbled, unlocking the car door and getting out. I heard Jace laugh and soon he exit the car too.

"Now what kind of gentlemen would I be if I didn't walk you to your door?"

I couldn't tell if he was teasing or being serious, but by the way he got out I knew he actually meant it which I would have had a witty comeback for if I weren't staring at Byron who had just rang my empty's house door bell.

"Byron." I called out, watching him turn around to face me. His usual smirk played on his face at the sound of my voice, but faded when his eyes shifted in Jace's direction.

"You're here early." I said, trying to expunge the bitter awkwardness and silence.

Jace's expression was unreadable. As rude as it might have sounded I wanted to ask him why he was still here, but didn't.

"It's past six." Byron said sounding like I had broken some sort of curfew.

"Yeah, I must have lost track of the time. I -" My sentence was cut short by Jace's words.

"It was my fault." He admitted which I looked at him stupidly for. "I guess we were having so much fun that we just lost track of the time."

I mentally face palmed my self for his horrible choice of his words and studying Byron right about now he was thinking what any normal person would be thinking right after hearing those words. And the fact that my hair was wet, my clothing looked like I quickly rushed to put them back on - which I did - it was just boosting the funny thoughts that could be spiraling in his head right now.

"Anyways I'd be better be going, maybe I'll past by after school again tomorrow." I watched as Jace got into his car and eventually drove off.

"So, are we still on for the Carnival?" I asked, innocently toying with my fingers behind my back.

"Of course we are. Just because you decided to screw the guy before calling me to tell me you'd be a few minutes late doesn't mean we won't go anymore.'' He replied sarcastically.

My jaw dropped to the floor. "We didn't do anything." I defended, but he looked barely interested in what I had to say.

He let out a forced laugh, "Really? Because the way you look now tells me an entirely different story."

He got me there I thought. I fixed my sleeve that was helplessly falling off of my shoulder. I didn't even have my sweater so that meant I left it back in Jace's car which wasn't helping this situation either.

I frowned. "Look, I'm sorry. I promise that any time I decide on the both of us going somewhere, I'll call if I'll be late."

He leaned against his car, glanced at me and then back at the sky, contemplating whether he'd forgive me or not.

"Just go change already."

A smile crept up on my face and I ran up the steps to my door. After unlocking it I entered the house and stopped just as I reached the living room. Inside the living room was filled with gifts, maybe twenty presents, thirty, give or take.

I stood there with my mouth hung open. Byron glided past me overlooking what I was seeing.

"Someone really must have made Santa happy."